Chipper Purchased a Dr Chipper

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #11  
Congrats on the new chipper! I have read many good things about the DR.
They wouldn't still be in business with their return policy if they weren't nice.

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #12  
dillo99:

Be careful with the chipper and with the wife- you might end up in your new chipper ;) Jay

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #13  
Congrats on yoour new toy, it really does make disposing of limbs and brush easier.

After our big blow last week, I hitched up the chipper and in less than 2 hours, I had both my neighbors trees and mine all chipped up. Total was 4 big Firs, a couple Alders, and lots of branches. Just drove around and chipped em' where they lay.

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper
Okay....a quick review.

This thing works great - I am very impressed. My tractor is only 21hp and it did not even bog down at all. I ran some pretty big stuff through it too - some green and some brown - really no difference at all. I would guess that the biggest I ran through was 4" with no difficulty at all - but I am not chipping anything that hard. My woods are mostly maples and birch plus some scrub trees which is mostly what I am chipping. I did chip some red maple branches - no problem at all. The birch are a brown birch that is pretty hard - chipped with no problem.

The input chute is short and the inside opening seems to be fairly large so I did not have too much trouble with curved branches. You do need to make sure there are no Y's over say 4-5"s but other than that, it accepts wood pretty easily.

One issue with the hand fed chippers is the vibration on the hands. The DR. works pretty well with gravity especially with larger stuff - so you just need to hold it from falling out. The little stuff requires a little pressure and there is definitely hand vibration but nothing too bad.

I got the lower priced of the 3ph models...the one without the discharge chute. I just could not see the extra expense for that metal tube. Most of my chipping will be done right where I want to leave the chips - or I will use the loader to move them. I may attempt to add a custom chute - looks to me like it would be pretty easy to do.

The spread on the 3ph pins is smaller than normal - this would not fit my harbor freight quick hitch (yet. modifications will be made).

Ordering was a breeze and as I mentioned above, it arrived in just three business days which is very impressive. I did the shipping depot method (free right now) but they will also deliver to your driveway for $50 more. There was minor assembly required (Attaching the chutes plus drive shaft).

Below are some pictures. The one with the chips is showing chips from all brown wood - which it tends to chip a little smaller. The chips from green wood are a little larger.

I should also mention that the color is perfect too!!!

Attachments

• Chipper on tractor.jpg
    Chipper on tractor.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 553
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 455
  • chips.jpg
    chips.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 426
  • chute.jpg
    chute.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 382
    87 KB · Views: 485
   / Purchased a Dr Chipper #15  
That's pretty sweet. That's a good sized log in the chute. Looks like that thing can definitely pull its own weight. Not too shabby for a small PTO chipper. I would love to get one. But the tractor I am looking at is 85hp with a Cat II hitch. Many of the PTO-driven chippers that I have looked at that are comparable to those specs are the big professional industrial things that cost in the neighborhood of $9,000. But I would be able to turn a whole forest into wood chips if I wanted.

Hey, post some action shots if you can!!
Have fun.:D
And remember. . .It's all fun and games until someone looses an arm!!:eek:

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #16  
dillo99 said:
This thing works great - I am very impressed. My tractor is only 21hp and it did not even bog down at all.

Excellent. I have a BX2200: 22 hp, but 16.7 at the PTO. The MacKissick and Salsco are so much bigger and call for 15-45 hp at the PTO. I never did understand why the DR is smaller, yet calls for 19-45 hp at the PTO. That made me nervous. Your report made me decide to go for it. I ordered the less expensive model last weekend. Can't wait. (And you're right, $450 extra for that directional nozzle is nuts. I just couldn't justify that either.)

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper
Tom_H said:
(And you're right, $450 extra for that directional nozzle is nuts. I just couldn't justify that either.)

Tom,

I have an idea to create a directional nozzle...I will probably tackle it in the next few weeks and I will be sure to post it.

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #18  
I have been looking the this chipper also. I have one of their trimmer mowers and it works great. I noticed your chainsaw holster on the ROPS, is that of your own making? Looks pretty handy!

/ Purchased a Dr Chipper #20  
Well, mine arrived this week. Hope to assemble it and give her a test run this weekend if the weather holds. Will post a report as soon as I get a chance.