Comparison Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #11  
Hi all,

I own two Drive In Theater's in NY and I'm in the market for a sub-compact tractor. I'm thinking about the Massey Ferguson GC 1720. I would also like a mower deck for a backup to my Jacobson triple deck mower. Probably a rake would help for my needs also. I think there is a package deal with a tow trailer which I could use to move my equipment between locations. The Drive ins tend to get a lot of driveway washout and are in need of some tile line drainage on low spots near marquee and my storage garage. I'm also searching for a smaller dump truck for gravel and crushed stone needs. I've spent too much on redoing my driveways that I should have just bought equipment years ago and It can be business write off lol. If anyone knows of any great deals or helpful info please let me know.

Thanks,

Bill aka Ozoner

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #12  
Hi all,

I own two Drive In Theater's in NY and I'm in the market for a sub-compact tractor. I'm thinking about the Massey Ferguson GC 1720. I would also like a mower deck for a backup to my Jacobson triple deck mower. Probably a rake would help for my needs also. I think there is a package deal with a tow trailer which I could use to move my equipment between locations. The Drive ins tend to get a lot of driveway washout and are in need of some tile line drainage on low spots near marquee and my storage garage. I'm also searching for a smaller dump truck for gravel and crushed stone needs. I've spent too much on redoing my driveways that I should have just bought equipment years ago and It can be business write off lol. If anyone knows of any great deals or helpful info please let me know.

Thanks,

Bill aka Ozoner

Bill, certainly a GC1720 offers you a wide selection of capabilities and tasks it can handle. Just one suggestion, if you are considering a mmm (mid mount mower), please recognize that Massey offers at least 4 different mmm options. There is a 60 inch, a drive on 60 inch, a 54 inch, and the 54 inch dedicated mulching deck. Each has advantages but the dedicated mulching deck unit - is unique to the Massey sub compact units. J.D. or Kubota etc. don't offer such a choice. If your dealer tells you they never heard of one - don't let that sway you. They are not more expensive - and they are a very legitimate choice - I bought my GC with that particular mmm.

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #13  
Bill, certainly a GC1720 offers you a wide selection of capabilities and tasks it can handle. Just one suggestion, if you are considering a mmm (mid mount mower), please recognize that Massey offers at least 4 different mmm options. There is a 60 inch, a drive on 60 inch, a 54 inch, and the 54 inch dedicated mulching deck. Each has advantages but the dedicated mulching deck unit - is unique to the Massey sub compact units. J.D. or Kubota etc. don't offer such a choice. If your dealer tells you they never heard of one - don't let that sway you. They are not more expensive - and they are a very legitimate choice - I bought my GC with that particular mmm.

Thank you for that info, I will keep that in mind while shopping:thumbsup:

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #14  
I have been reading through the forums, and researching online. I saw some had issues, but mostly dealer related and machine was not repaired properly at the dealer.
I looked at a Kubota BX23, but didn't like the dealer or the unit. Also was price more than JD.
The 1025R was a nice machine, and the dealer is great. But was more than the MF.
Getting the 1720 for a lot less than the JD. I like the quality of steel, seems thicker than the JD and greater capacity for loader and backhoe as well as float option really sealed it. Dealer has been great as well.
One issue I ran into with the JD is the seat, the dealer couldn't swing it back around from the backhoe position, and others have had issues on other forums...

I think I'll be happy with the MF. One thing I liked on the JD was the loader level indicator, which does not come on the MF. I have found where to make my own for it though.
I'm also getting a brush cutter and canopy for the same price as the base 1025R, so can't pass it up.
I had a Massey Harris 44, and currently have a 1963 Farmall 140. I hope this can outperform both...

My question is how stable is it on slopes while travelling sideways?

Looking forward to adding more input as my time progresses on the unit...

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #15  
Im a flat lander so i don't even put anything in my tires other than air. I don't have weights either. I will have a ballast. With that said I think it would do fine on most slopes. My parents have a pond and the one side of the dam has a pretty good slope and i could manage it easily. Now the ditch I have by the road that i weed eat is a different story. I haven't mowed it all with the tractor but as i go i get a little more each time but i really doubt I will ever mow it all. Ive been operating machinery for most of my entire life so i think a little common sense goes along way.

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #16  
Stormshadow, I have lots of slope and sidehill on my 15 acre primary lot and I use my gc1715 for doing the mowing. It does well on hills and sidehill . . . But I'm not using or hauling a backhoe or gel when I'm cutting. I do use my fel often on hills. . . But not on sidehill. I found in a comparison test before buying, that the Massey gc1700s felt more stable to me than even a bx1870.

I have loaded tires (turfs) and I have some rear ballast when I need it also. But you'll find on TBN as in real life. . . . that definitions of "steep" will vary greatly. So easy does it while you're in your rookie season lol.

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #17  
Thanks for the insight...

I also noticed while shopping, there are no direct vs comparisons for the 1025R and GC1720. They pit either against kubota usually or any other tractor like Mahindra or Kioti...
Personally I found the differences so small. But the Massey has more grunt.
I struggled with this decision as well, as far as resale goes, JD is the obvious choice, but it also costs more to buy....gotta consider resale value down the road if I need a bigger machine later...

There are many families of Mennonites moving into my area now too, are they common purchasers of used SCUT's? I know they have been buying up tons of land and used machinery around here...

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #18  
I recently picked up the MF2326 (60-inch drive over) for my GC1720. The wide stance of the R-4s and the low, heavy and wide stance of the mower deck makes for a very confident session. Don't become overconfident or complacent though, I have to puts my ROPS down for some of my flat mowing due to tree limbs I haven't cut yet, but when I'm doing my slopes (approx 1 acre on the slope), I put the ROPS back up, buckle in, and only go up and down.

Even with a low COG, if I approach the 15-degree side slope/tip 'limit' the pucker latches onto the seat and I still do the uphill lean for ballast.

/ Purchased a Massey fergusson gc1720 #19  
I recently picked up the MF2326 (60-inch drive over) for my GC1720. The wide stance of the R-4s and the low, heavy and wide stance of the mower deck makes for a very confident session. Don't become overconfident or complacent though, I have to puts my ROPS down for some of my flat mowing due to tree limbs I haven't cut yet, but when I'm doing my slopes (approx 1 acre on the slope), I put the ROPS back up, buckle in, and only go up and down.

Even with a low COG, if I approach the 15-degree side slope/tip 'limit' the pucker latches onto the seat and I still do the uphill lean for ballast.

The uphill lean for ballast is a regular thing until get my wheel spacers later this summer lol.