Buying Advice Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #1  

Ortimber

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere
My accountant (wife) says its time to trade off one of my older tractors and replace it with a new one.
This will be a tractor primarily used for loader work and round hay operations.

I have Kubota and John Deere dealers close and they are equally good. These are the only brands I will consider and my current fleet is almost all Kubota with the exception of a JD dozer.

Ive done hours of research, sat in and drove both machines. I will say that I like the idea of staying with one brand but I also think the green machine brings a bit more to the table (as well as a slightly higher price tag).

So, I am asking all of you to help me spend my money. I am really on the fence as to which one to buy.

Let her rip!

Last edited:
   / Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #2  
The ultimate choice is yours. Both tractors will have +'s and -'s. I've been with the same dealership for 35+ years. First they were a Ford dealer - now they are Kubota. I have tremendous faith in the support this dealer has provided. I would not want to go green in this area - mainly because I have no experience with the dealerships.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #3  
My account says its time to trade off one of my older tractors and replace it with a new one.
This will be a tractor primarily used for loader work and round hay operations.

I have Kubota and John Deere dealers close and they are equally good. These are the only brands I will consider and my current fleet is almost all Kubota with the exception of a JD dozer.

Ive done hours of research, sat in and drove both machines. I will say that I like the idea of staying with one brand but I also think the green machine brings a bit more to the table (as well as a slightly higher price tag).

So, I am asking all of you to help me spend my money. I am really on the fence as to which one to buy.

Let her rip!

Get the Kubota and be sure to get the hydraulic self leveling option as well as the KSR option for the loader.

I just priced out An M5-111 on the build page and it came out to just under 89.5K.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #4  
I studied up on that kubota a lot and didn't love it. Barely liked it honestly. The shuttle shift is clumsy and the ergonomics aren't there. If kubota want some more market share I recommend they have us farmer focus groups. It wasn't comfortable to run and raising the empty bucket made the rear feel light. No there wasn't any weight off back but it was just an empty bucket.

we have the 5100e and love it. Works great for our tasks. The M is nice but didn't see the benefit over the E for our uses. Get the 24/12 trans. Really nice running a batwing

Brett

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5
Thanks for the responses so far.

As a long time Kubota owner, I really thought that going with the M5-111 was going to be a slam dunk. After all, in thousands of hours of operation spread across 6 different Kubotas, I have very little to complain about.

But, on a whim, I dropped by the green dealer and they had the machine I was slightly interested in. So I thought what the heck, I’ll just take a quick look at her. First impressions were that it just looked beefy and stout. In fact its really pretty easy to see that this thing weighs more than the orange counterpart. (Not a deal breaker on the Kubota), just an observation.

But then I sat in it....No question that the cab and ergonomics have been well thought out and man that thing is comfortable. It just feels right.

I can also get a 32/16 gearbox which I absolutely love.

Kubota has been great for us, but dang that JD is something else. I’m having a hard time making the decision that’s for sure.

Last edited:
   / Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #6  
Because of the your over whelming loader use is the sole reason I suggested the Kubota. If you are dealing with a lot of round bales, I think that the self leveling loader as well as the KSR on the Kubota is the way to go. If you were doing more general utility work, then no doubt that the JD 5115M is one nice machine. ;)

If at all possible, can you look-sit in the Kubota and then say in a short period of time do the same with the JD? That way everything is fresh in your memory. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your decision.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5
MtnView, agree 100% about the shockless ride system on the Kubota. It makes moving round hay thru rough fields much easier to tolerate. That is something I would miss if I go with JD.
My hunch is that the JD will ride a little better due to weight, buts that’s only speculation.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #8  
The only way I know to decide is to have both dealers bring a tractor out for a few days, around here all the major
dealers will bring a tractor out to the farm so it can be used and run under actual conditions. i also know that they
don't like to for the compacts unless they know the farm and individuals. On the farm we have never purchased a tractor without trying
it out for a day or so and up to a week, some times it would stay, many times a different one was what ended up being
brought out and then purchased.

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #9  
Did they finally put ride control on these tractors ? On a full size backhoe it is Cadillac and Pinto on the ride . Case came out with it and others followed . I have probably rode 50000 miles through CU in IL. The difference is amazing . Kevin .

/ Purchasing 100HP tractor, JD 5M vs KB M5 #10  
Anxious to see your decision. Don't think you can go wrong either way.

When I bought my M9540 I looked hard at JD M series. Couldn't get close on price. Even the JD salesman told me I should buy the Kubota. But I think that gap is closing.

Post pics when you decide and take delivery!!! :)