purchasing a 30+ hp compact

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #11  
I am looking to get the biggest narrow tractor with a cab (**** cold in ND) that I can get and still stay narrow, without getting into the big vineyard tractors.
Us vineyard guys just gave up and made the rows wider... :laughing:

I have a Kubota L3130 with R4 tires and an M7040 with R1 tires. For all intents and purposes, they're the same width (about an inch difference). But the L3130 sure "feels" more narrow. Kubota makes the M7040 in a 48" version for use in vineyards. You can get this with the CAB. I elected to make my row spacing 10 foot to keep from having to go with a narrow tractor that might not be able to do other jobs. Even at 10 feet it's gonna be tight, but I just cut a road with the box blade that's 7 foot and I didn't having any issues ripping down it, so the vines should be good.

Based on what you've posted so far the M7040 in 48" width would be the best choice - of course that's if cost is not a consideration. The base price with CAB is $44,372 - which isn't too bad. They also make a M6040 in the narrow version - but you can't get a CAB on that one.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact
Wow you guys are great! Hope I can return the favor in the future. Went down to the kubota dealer and measured a B3000 with R4s, (53"+) anyone know if ag tires make a difference? I assume a B3030 would be the same? The M series narrows, even high Hr. used exceed my max. of 20K.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #13  
"I assume a B3030 would be the same?"

Correct.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #14  
Wow you guys are great! Hope I can return the favor in the future. Went down to the kubota dealer and measured a B3000 with R4s, (53"+) anyone know if ag tires make a difference? I assume a B3030 would be the same? The M series narrows, even high Hr. used exceed my max. of 20K.
The R4 tires on my L3130 make it as wide as the M7040 with R1's - so yes, the AG tires make a difference. AG tires "generally" fit under the fenders while the R4's and turf tires will stick out.

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #15  

I found a thread where someone said they have ags on a B3200. You could send him a Message to see if he knows the width of the Ag tires.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/199545-12-4x16-ag-tires.html

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #16  
The width of the B3000 - according to Kubota's spec page - is 53.7" minimum. Which indicated to me the AG's were on the tractor, but since the physical measurement of the R4's showed the same width I figured something had to be up. So I checked "Build My Kubota" and the R1 and R4 tires are the same on the B3000 - both are 12.4-16 in size. So going to the AG's in this instance isn't going to save you any width.

I found a B3030 with factor cab. It has 8.3-24 rear ag tires and is only 45" wide. I am unable to find any info on this tire option, everything I find says 12.4-16. Anybody heard of a 3030 with 24" rear wheels. Did Kubota make a narrow option for this tractor at some time?

/ purchasing a 30+ hp compact #18  
   / purchasing a 30+ hp compact #19  
I'm wondering what the B3030 is going to give you that the JD955 doesn't. It has a marginally better 3pt lift, less hp, 100lbs heavier etc. It's newer, but not a whole lot different. You'd be better off just sticking an after market cab on the 955 if it's still in good shape. The cab on the B3030 is notoriously loud anyway, so you don't loose anything that way. The only thing you'd be missing is AC. I'm sure some Kubota guys aren't going to like this, but that tractor's not powerful enough to run AC anyway. AC robs 5-7 engine hp, that doesn't leave you much to run a bush hog or other PTO driven implement.

My (used) JDP cab didn't have the door shocks anymore, so I used some foam pipe insulation on the door edges and bungy corded the door together open behind the tractor. Add a 12 volt fan and you're good to go.

If the JD 955 doesn't do what you need it to, I doubt a B3030 will either. In that case, if think you'll either have to go wider or find a good deal on an old vineyard tractor.

My 955 has served me well, except the 3 pt could use a little more lift for one implement. It is getting up there in hrs. 2000+ and the crops I grow are time sensitive. You are right that I would not be getting a gain in HP or wt., but much of my equipt. is custom built and many crops are perannual so going wider is not an option. Also do a lot of spraying (broadcast and hooded inrow) so a cab would keep the spray off me. Would like to go bigger but width is the constraint. My 955 is 50" wide and still get some crop damage when late season spraying.