Purchasing My First Tractor

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #1  

villa14

I'm just starting to learn about farm equipment and I have been given the opportunity to raise my own hay on 100 acres, wheat on 34 acres, and have 30 acres of pasture for a horse training facility of 200 acres total. The tractor (with a loader) must be big enough to load manure, mow, rake, and bale the hay that I will raise. My problem is that I am not sure which tractor would be best for the job.

From the small amount of research that I have done so far, I am looking at the following tractors:
~John Deere 5403
~John Deere 5425
~Kubota M7040
~Kubota M8540
~New Holland T5040
~New Holland TT55

Do these seem like appropriate tractors for the job that I need to do? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #2  
Right off, let me be the first to welcome you to TBN. You'll never find yourself in short supply of opinion here, 'cause there's an ample supply to be had! ;)

Good choices so far. Look atthe 500 series Massey Fergusons too. Real bang for the buck there. You'll get a lot of happy Mahindra owner on here. I'd suggest looking there too.

I farmed for 35+ years on approx 200 acres, with a 60 hp JD tractor as my biggest most of those years. That's a good match. You'll find uses for larger power, but if you plan on ONE tractor for now, 60hp range is a good place to start.

In time, you'll find the need for more than one tractor. (Some of us can't seem to get ENOUGH of 'em) I'd suggest starting with one versatile enough to do just about everything on your list. (Not too big...not too small)

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #3  
we have a horse training facility similar to what you have. i bought a kubota m8540 4x4 with loader. it handles the kicker baler and wagons with ease, even on fairly steep fields. we spread manure until the snow gets to deep. then in the spring when the fields dry out, i load the spreader with the 8540 and spread it with a ford 7610. the tractor also does well on fuel because it doesn't have to work very hard to do these chores.

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #4  
I'm just starting to learn about farm equipment and I have been given the opportunity to raise my own hay on 100 acres, wheat on 34 acres, and have 30 acres of pasture for a horse training facility of 200 acres total. The tractor (with a loader) must be big enough to load manure, mow, rake, and bale the hay that I will raise. My problem is that I am not sure which tractor would be best for the job.

From the small amount of research that I have done so far, I am looking at the following tractors:
~John Deere 5403
~John Deere 5425
~Kubota M7040
~Kubota M8540
~New Holland T5040
~New Holland TT55

Do these seem like appropriate tractors for the job that I need to do? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
I would also look at Kioti DK65 tractors.coobie

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #5  
Are yuo only interested in new.. or would you look at slightly used? or 'classic' machines?

late 70's and up larger fords and NH are pennies and nickles on the dollar of new machines.. spend some time looking and get a good one and it will have decades of life left in it.

soundguy

soundguy

/ Purchasing My First Tractor
I'm looking for primarily new tractors. Thanks for the input so far!

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #7  
Just my opinion and it isn't worth all that much, but with the size of property and what you are planning on doing, it sounds like you should get about the biggest tractor that you can afford now and then get a smaller one to help out later on. Multiple tractors are a great thing to have where multiple chores need to be done.:D Maybe let us know the area that you are in and there might be someone here that would be able to recommend a brand and or dealer close by for you to check out.

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #8  
Just my opiniion, but of the tractors on your list I'd pick the M8540. You've got 200 acres to work which is quite a bit. A smaller tractor will do great for many tasks but will take longer to do your big jobs (if it can do the big jobs).

What are your plans for the 100 acres of hay? Round bales, square bales, small bales, large bales? Will you do all of the haying on that 100 acres with a single tractor? How do you plan to transport and store all of that hay?

/ Purchasing My First Tractor #9  
Just my opinion and it isn't worth all that much, but with the size of property and what you are planning on doing, it sounds like you should get about the biggest tractor that you can afford now and then get a smaller one to help out later on. Multiple tractors are a great thing to have where multiple chores need to be done.:D Maybe let us know the area that you are in and there might be someone here that would be able to recommend a brand and or dealer close by for you to check out.

That's what I was hinting at.. that size property is begging for a big ole' 2wd no-frills 70-135hp tractor PLUS a 30hp tractor with loader and 4wd... etc.

soundguy

/ Purchasing My First Tractor
If I were to purchase the Kubota M8540, what would an appropriate hay baler be for the tractor as well as the amount of land I will be utilizing? Does compatibility with the tractor matter? I'd be looking to do square bales.