Push with 3 point?

/ Push with 3 point? #21  
I find incredible efficiency moving snow with my FEL going forward and 3PH blade going backward. The 3PH blade clears better in reverse.

I am more careful when plowing in reverse if only because I am struggling to look behind me.

-bill

/ Push with 3 point? #22  
My Bush Hog brand Box Blade (and most others) has double sided cutting blades on it...specifically meant to be used in both forward and reverse...

/ Push with 3 point? #23  
The one I am currently fixing also has the blade in front and back of the box. If I sold tractor parts, that is just what I would want the customer to buy!
David from jax

/ Push with 3 point? #24  
I was trying to level a pile of dirt/grass/weeds that came from the ditches near here and rolled my 7000 pound tractor backwards into one pile as I rolled off another pile. Just as easy as that I snapped one of the front arms on the boxblade

in my opinion this amounts to using th back blade as a dozer and I don't think that is the intention of the rear blade...

most videos on the operation of a box blade show leveling mounds etc going forward and using the back blade for final smoothing..

DHD Box Blade Video - Everything Attachments.com

/ Push with 3 point? #25  
I have been thinking of building a quick detach 3pt for the frontend of my rig. As the loader frame is fairly heavy and there are some attach points up front. Would be a simple thing to hand pivot points for removeable lift arms and a cyl to operate a rockshaft. As most loaders are not hard to back out of, would be an easy changeout. Even leaving the loader on and using the 3pt under it would make for better traction and steering in snow.

Like I said, just thinking about it.

/ Push with 3 point? #26  
I push with my back blade in reverse. Keeping from packing the snow down with the tires ahead of it.

Ralph

/ Push with 3 point? #27  
A lot of good comments in this thread.
The bottom line, is the 3 ph arms are not designed for "pushing" although many get by doing it.

They would be designed differently (IMO) if meant for pushing, and would be built more like the boxed beams of the FEL.

So, it is a risk to the user, thus the good word "caution" is mentioned several times. That means, IMO, if it breaks, you just were not cautious enough. :D

/ Push with 3 point? #28  
I have pushed backwards with the box scraper for years and never had a problem except if you hit something like a rock with one side and it puts a lot of stress on one arm bent one once

use your head

/ Push with 3 point? #29  
Thirty years ago I ran a blade service with a Ford Jubilee w/7' rear blade and a Ford 861 w/8' rear blade. I kept extra lower arms for each. Broke at least two per tractor each winter. Would break them at the bolt hole where the lift link attaches to them.

When you have pushed out twenty or thirty strange driveways and a dozen business drives over a period of 10-12 hours "caution" kinda goes away. :)

/ Push with 3 point? #30  
in my opinion this amounts to using th back blade as a dozer and I don't think that is the intention of the rear blade...

most videos on the operation of a box blade show leveling mounds etc going forward and using the back blade for final smoothing..

DHD Box Blade Video - Everything Attachments.com

/Pine,
You are absolutely right, it isn't the intention of the boxblade to move mountains of dirt in reverse. However, I really wasn't trying to move them, just get off the pile in front of me. I actually was rolling backwards with the clutch in when I hit the other pile, but the boxblade really didn't care, as it took it personal.
My Ford 1100 took the same abuse for years, but it didn't have the power or the weight that the JD does. Horsepower and 7000 pound of weight will tear things up in a hurry.
David from jax