Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #1  

I’m the Tim

Tractor
John Deere 790
Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790. I bought my 2000 790 from my ailing friend. Have known this meticuliously maintained machine since he bought it. Have heard that pushing snow with a plow attached to the loader arms will blow out bushings due to angling the plow.

Last edited:
   / Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #2  
This is something you can indeed do; if it's new to you I would suggest a solid set of Edge Tamers to help you out.

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790
Interesting. Is that the same function as the ”float function” on my bucket?

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #4  
The Edge Tamers that tacticalturnip recommends are great for bucket work in general. I have a set that I use for snow removal on gravel, mulch, and dirt work.
I also use a regular plow blade and pusher on the fel for the majority of my snow plow work on anywhere from 15-20 long rural driveways. I have never damaged anything.

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #5  
Using the Edge Tamer allows the use of float when moving snow; without them I find I need to keep and constantly monitor the down pressure.

Or that's been my experiences. I'm really happy with them, and have had the Tamers over two separate tractors; if I were purchasing them again I would get the new ones that bolt into cutting edge holes. Provided you have them.

20230124_160931.jpg

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #6  
With the minimal amount of snow we have been getting I'm also plowing with my bucket. No edge tamers needed if you never let the bucket touch the ground unless curled.

I'm even selling my rear snow blower. Bought it 3yrs ago and it's never even seen snow.

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #7  
No edge tamers needed if you never let the bucket touch the ground unless curled.
That's all I do...first couple plowings of the season I'll just curl it back in inch or so. Works fine. In a normal year where we actually had snowstorms after a couple storms there's enough of a base where you don't need it.

Back when I used an ATV to plow, I'd slit a couple pieces of PVC pipe and put 'em on the edge of the blade for those first couple storms. Edge of the FEL bucket is quite a bit thicker, not sure how well that'd work.

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #8  
Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790. I bought my 2000 790 from my ailing friend. Have known this meticuliously maintained machine since he bought it. Have heard that pushing snow with a plow attached to the loader arms will blow out bushings due to angling the plow.
Is the plow angling function manual (such as manually moving a pin) or is it angled by hydraulics?
Perhaps you are using the curl function to angle the blade. If hydraulic you can install a cushion valve which will allow the blade to turn if a solid object is hit. I have one on my tractors quick attach truck plow. Haven't used my plow yet due to light snowfall this winter, just been plowing with the bucket so far. Attached is a pic of my cushion valve.
DSCN1982 (Medium).JPG

/ Pushing snow with the bucket of my 790 #9  
Keep the plow blade as close to the tractor as possible and suspend the blade with chain so it can float independently of the loader frame.