Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
We had a pine tree leaning at a 45 degree angle towards our house so I decided to cut it down before it fell down. In the old days, I would have cut off all the branches then cut the trunk into small pieces to haul it away, but then I remembered, I have a Kubota! I cut the tree into 4 sections with all limbs attached and hauled it off to the burn pile. A Joyous photo is attached....

Attachments

• 690290-DSCN1572-600.jpg
    690290-DSCN1572-600.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,022
   / Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #2  
What is that contraption on the ROPS ?

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling
> What is that contraption on the rops?

See the web page in my profile.

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #4  
Quite a setup for lights and speakers. Only thing I noted is that most was welded to the ROPS. I'm not sure I believe it myself, but there are some stern warnings about welding to the ROPS, that it can lower the strength of the structure. Clamp on via "U" bolts is the recommended attachment method.

paul

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #5  
Having worked in the industry building ROPS units for CN-H I can tell you that these fears are unwarranted. They are propagated by the same lawyers which say that you must take your car back to the DEALER for the same make and model tires or shocks that the car was "Engineered" for. Otherwise the safety of the vehicle will be compromised. It's all about liability and (not so) common sense. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Here are the nice 1/4-20 bolts which are holding my work lights to my ROPS. Wall thickness was in excess of .125" for thread engagement. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I actually believe that my tractor is safer with the additional parts that I have welded onto the rops. If I were to roll it over, as it came down these additional pieces would hit first and bend, absorbing some of the force and slowing down the downward acceleration before the actual rops hit the ground. Think about the way frames in cars are built these days, they are designed to bend and fold to absorb the force of the impact, much like these pieces of metal would do on my rops.

Further, since I have actually rolled it once (before adding the lights, etc) I now have a better idea of what it takes to roll a tractor (not much!), and I'm going to be much more careful about getting into that situation from now on...

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #7  
Hey I think you did a jam up job on all of your mods and add on
attachments.you should look in to marketing some of them . I
like the bucket hitch , great rig /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #8  
I like the music stuff and lights. We have the same setup tractor and tiller. I noticed you turned the mounting pegs in, tried that too, too much trouble, I got the Pats' system, works great.

What languages do you write in for computer programming. I do networking and troubleshooting.

I'm a UNIX systems programmer. work primarily with Sun Solaris, write a lot of programs in PERL, modify/port programs in C, manage campus firewalls, so I do a lot of network troubleshooting myself. I work directly with the Network Engineers on firewall projects.

/ Putting the bx-22 to good use -- pine tree hauling #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Quite a setup for lights and speakers. Only thing I noted is that most was welded to the ROPS. I'm not sure I believe it myself, but there are some stern warnings about welding to the ROPS, that it can lower the strength of the structure. <font color="red"> Clamp on via "U" bolts is the recommended attachment method.
</font>
paul
============
<font color="red"> I prefer magnets. </font>
)</font>