Puzzling electric fence problem

/ Puzzling electric fence problem #12  
Simply slowly drive your fenceline with your radio tuned to an AM station. When you get a lot of static in your radio pulsating about every second, you are near the bad spot in the fence.

We use the same method on tracking static on our electric power lines. Although, the low AM stations will be mis-leading and noise can travel for miles. Normally you can narrow it down pretty easily. I've also found that even on a good hot-wire fence, AM radio will pick up each pulse. We have a special sniffer for this around 330mhz that will narrow it down within a few feet.

I'd drive it slow at night and have someone shake the line real good to possibly see the arc. You can do that with AM radio station fairly low band too. The noise will get louder on the shake and the closer you get to the problem.

/ Puzzling electric fence problem #13  
I had a similar problem after a lightening strike hit my fence. It destroyed my charger but the new one showed grounded all the time. After trying everything else, I replaced the insulators on the section of fence hit by lightening back to the charger. It started working after that. Several of the insulators had hairline cracks that were not visible until I had them in hand. Good luck.