Q.) re: 220v welder plugs

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #1  

dholly

Platinum Member
Tractor
B7610HST
Wrapping up some garage wiring. I just know -someday- soon I'll have a welder so I want to make a provision for it now before buttoning up the drywall. Sure don't need anything too fancy and/or expensive, most likely just a small buzz box for stick welding, but I see 220v welders can use different type plugs and don't really know why. So if I'm pre-wiring for a future welder, but need a finished receptacle for inspection now, which type receptacle should I use? Is there a 'higher' probability plug config I should be using for a basic 220v stick welder? Thx

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #2  
I had a welder circuit pre-wired when we built our house. The panel end is not connected to anything and the outlet end just terminates into an empty two-gang metal work box. A solid cover hides it all. Passed inspection just fine.

If/when I get a welder all I'll have to do is add the appropriate recep and breakers... I hope /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #3  
230v welders normally use a NEMA 6-50R receptacle and a NEMA 6-50P plug. Any good electrical supply house will have them. Home Depot and Lowes usually don't.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #4  
Here in Southern Maryland, Lowes carries the receptacles, but not the plugs, price I got was $8-10 and was about half the local electrical supply. Although that type business tends to have better prices if they know you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Terry

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs
Thanks for those numbers Mad, I assume from the numbers they are rated 50a and I do have a 50a breaker handy. Sorry to sound so ignorant but, here's where I remain confused...

If I hook up the 50a plug and receptacle you mention using #6 wire, I realize that covers all the bases on the high side, i.e., will never need anything larger. But if I ultimately end up with, say, a smaller 30a welder, I understand that would require a different receptacle and breaker. But what about wire?

For example, seems I could still leave the bigger wire as long as I swap out the breaker and receptacle appropriately? Or would I have to replace the #6 with #10 for 30a, because the 30a 220v receptacle terminals can't physically accept #6 wire?

The more I learn, more I wonder if the best thing is to simply throw an empty conduit to a covered workbox until I actually find that Pennysaver welder special. Sounds like too many variables if'n you don't have a particular welder in mind. The good news is, the plug will be right under the panel box.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #6  
I am not an electrician and I am not familiar with todays codes (although I have a degree in electrical engineering).

However I can tell you this, all the Miller and Hobart 230v welders and plasma cutters and the ThermalArc TA-185 Tig welders and my 20 yr old Craftsman AC buzz box come with NEMA 6-50P plugs. Other manufacturers may be different but I doubt it. That plug/receptacle combination is pretty much the standard for 230v welding equipment regardless of the current rating.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #7  
Most, if not all 220v welders will come with the 6-50p plug on them as Madref said. If buy chance you end up with a welder with a different plug, you can always change the plug on the welder to match the wall, or make a pigtail adapter.

The "standard" receptacle is the NEMA 6-50p, and that is what you should install. My local Home Depot sells them.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs
Yes, change the plug, that makes sense. Sometimes the simple answers elude you! Thanks all, I see my solution.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The more I learn, more I wonder if the best thing is to simply throw an empty conduit to a covered workbox until I actually find that Pennysaver welder special. )</font>

Too bad you don't live closer to me. I have no more use for my 250 amp Craftsman AC stick welder and I have to upgrade my 3 yr old Millermatic 175 mig to something bigger. Both are for sale, reasonable.

/ Q.) re: 220v welder plugs #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yes, change the plug, that makes sense. Sometimes the simple answers elude you! Thanks all, I see my solution. )</font>

I have been there!
Use the #6 wire and 50a breaker and never look back!