Question about a 4000 hour tractor

/ Question about a 4000 hour tractor #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
Someone is selling a Kubota 40HP 4WD with 4000 hours. He has not done any major repair work on the tractor. Should I expect to put some major repair money into it sooner or later? Or is hours not a good gauge of wear or repair need?

I haven't seen the tractor yet but the seller says there is nothing wrong with the machine.

Thanks.

/ Question about a 4000 hour tractor #2  
Look at the tractor's overall condition.

2 hours and a bad operator can ruin a clutch. 3 minutes of running from a guy that does shoddy maintenance work and forgets to add oil will sieze an engine. etc.

That said.. on a good diesel, you are getting into the area where it may need work.. though I do see machines hit 5-10k hours before rebuilds.

At 4k you have to figure the clutch is getting thin. Find out exactly what he ahs changed.

If it starts easily and doesn't smoke under load.. that is a good sign the engine compression is 'sufficient' for years more of work. If it has had a clutch any time in it's life, or the freeplay is ok, and there is adjustment left.. then you will know where you are at.

look for leaks, play in the steering. Lift strength and speed.. engine, tires.. etc. Does it look maintained?

Finally.. considder price vs a newer / new / lower hours unit.

Had you said 2000hrs i wouldn't have blinked an eye on a smaller diesel. And like I said.. 5k-10k on a larger diesel is not 'crazy'.

What is he asking? You can get good ag tractor in the 50-100 hp range for 3500$ and up. Probably get something in the low end of that hp range and better hours int he 6500-8500$ mark at least..cause once you hit 9500-13k.. you are in the 'new' units like economy jd 5103, branson, and farmtrack/agco units..

Soundguy

/ Question about a 4000 hour tractor
Thank you, Soundguy. He is asking for $6000. After reading your reply, I decided not to pursue it.

If you find one that fits your description (50+ hp, 2000 hours, $6500-8500), please let me know. I will buy it. I really mean it. After all, I am in central Florida, too. Thanks.

/ Question about a 4000 hour tractor #4  
Hey man.. I forgot that. Hit a jiffy store and pick up a heavy equipment trader mag.. they are 2$ and yellow.. I get one every friday... My wife calls it my 'tractor p*rn' mag. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

There has been a deutz dx 110 w/ 15' batwing mower in there for over a month now. 8500$ Doesn't say hours.. but if the mower runs.. i figure youcould sell it for 1200-2500 easy... and tha's a big honkin tractor.

Other goodies in there... lots of ford 3930's in the 9500$ range.. a 4630 as well.. less than 10g.. that's a stout tractor. There is a ford 5600 in there for 7500$

I could go on and on.. just read one yesterday... lots of tractors... case's and jd's in the 6500$ range.

If you need more info.. email me tomorrow.

Soundguy