Question about ATV Winch

/ Question about ATV Winch #1  

Hoosier_Daddy

Platinum Member
Tractor
New BX2200 4-3-02 (traded 6-08) new B2620 06-08
Hi.

I have a Warn A2000 Winch on my 1999 ATV that works OK but never had any braking power to it. Let off the switch and the winch releases all the tension.

I just figured that was normal on such a small unit but I was talking to a fella at the Gun Show and he said the Winch should be able to lift the ATV and hold it.

This Winch has been MFG Discontinued but the original book says nothing about the holding power.

Any feedback?

Tom

/ Question about ATV Winch #2  
Tom,

Never heard about what your saying, I have 2 ATV's with Warn winch's, mine have a engage and disengage switch on them, do you /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I can't think of what else it could be unless something is broken.

/ Question about ATV Winch
Ray,

Maybe I should explain it this way.

When I installed the Winch back in 1999 the neighbor and I decided to test it so we did what the manual said. Pull the cable out and rewind it under some load.

Then we decided to try to lift the ATV by hooking the cable to a tree branch and see how much it would lift.

It did fine lifting but as soon as we let off the switch the Winch would not hold the load and just let all the tension off the cable.

In other words, I cannot hang my ATV out of a tree with my Winch.

(did you ever see the movie "The Gods Must be Crazy" that had the land Rover referred to as the "anti-Christ" hanging out of a tree)

I have not used the winch very much. Really needed it 2 times and it worked fine for pulling me out of my situations.

Tom

/ Question about ATV Winch #4  
The A2000 has no internal brake. Other larger Warn's have it. It is a good and bad thing, winches with a brake can't power out under load for very long, it heats up the motor.

Ken

/ Question about ATV Winch
Thanks Ken.

Guess that answers my question. I don't have a problem with my winch. It's working as designed. There won't be any tree hanging of my ATV going on.

And as a Safety concern to all: There is a recall on some of the Solenoids that came with the Warn A2000. Just go to the Warn page or search Warn Winches on google and the recall will pop up.

Thanks,

tom