Question about cedar lumber

/ Question about cedar lumber #21  
From an aesthetic point of veiw and if you are going to leave the structure unpainted, Douglas Fir in the sunlight will over time will darken to black and Cedar will turn a silver gray. Could be a nice combination.

/ Question about cedar lumber #22  
wroughtn_harv, I have 2 welders and a plasma, what other tools do I need for woodworking... All kidding aside, I have most of the tools I would need and "technically" I'm a certified log home builder, at least according to the Log home builders assc.

I'll bet the hole against a baker's dozen donuts that you can find someone within reasonable driving distance that would make you a killer deal on some trees. Then you figure out a way to harvest the trees and bring them home. Then its just work, fun work.

There's a big thread here in projects where I harvest cedar trees and make a staircase, a couple of entryways, and a pergola from the wood. It's just work, fun work.

I have a brother in law that's a perpetual student, fifty five years or so now. It seems to me that the biggest stumbling block he has to doing something with all that knowledge in carpentry, electrical, home building, and so on is the more he learns the more intimidated he's become about doing anything.

I have a neighbor who is always telling me about a project he wants to do. He'll never do anything. The reason is he's afraid of it not being perfect when it's finished. So rather than doing it less than perfect, he gets along not getting it on.

Here's my philosophy in a nutshell. Practice makes perfect. That's good if you're a perfectionist. All you have to do is practice. For guys like me who don't want to do the same thing twice it's okay too. I've got an excuse for it not being perfect.