Question about CraigsList

/ Question about CraigsList #1  

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Most scams I can see through but I can't figure out why all the "Is it still available" responses to everything posted. Wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have several items posted. They often just say "still got it" or the like. Tell them yes and fewer than 1 out of 20 follow's up and that's often "can you send more pictures" or simply "thanks". People do things for a reason ,not neccessarly good reason but for a reason non the less. What might they expect to get out of it?

/ Question about CraigsList #2  
When an item is sold the person posting the item is not always quick to remove the posting. The inquiry can save the potential buyer from making an unnecessary trip. It works both ways. I recently sold a tractor through Craigslist after the ad had expired. I had neglected to remove the ad thinking it would automatically go away. Perhaps it had but thankfully a buyer found me.

/ Question about CraigsList #3  
"Is it still available" is an auto filled response to Faceplant Marketplace private messages. Since many users are also on craigslist, the notion and the words are in their clipboard. It's also recognized as 'phishing' expedition, by responders collecting valid contact lists which they then sell to marketeers. As you may Not know, Facebook and Craigslist are also looking to eliminate false ads and claims. The $3500 John Deere tractor with cab, loader, mower, and trailer is also a comical part of this activity. It only has 300 hrs on it, too !

/ Question about CraigsList #4  
I assume like said above, most of them are phishing for valid emails or phone numbers to sell a list to telemarketers or scammers. If I reply, it's usually "Yes" and that is all. If you use the CL relay for emailing them, they get nothing useful.

/ Question about CraigsList #5  
I agree, using the relay is the only way to respond. A few times I contacted sellers to find out the item was no longer for sale. But I try to be specific, so it seems like a human is generating the request, not a bot. I met one or two CL people who had the check greater than the amount scams pulled on them, but none of them were luckily that gullible.

/ Question about CraigsList
I assume like said above, most of them are phishing for valid emails or phone numbers to sell a list to telemarketers or scammers. If I reply, it's usually "Yes" and that is all. If you use the CL relay for emailing them, they get nothing useful.

I agree, using the relay is the only way to respond. A few times I contacted sellers to find out the item was no longer for sale. But I try to be specific, so it seems like a human is generating the request, not a bot. I met one or two CL people who had the check greater than the amount scams pulled on them, but none of them were luckily that gullible.

That's the only conclusion I could come to and like TnAndy,I don't put my email or ph# out. I suppose if only 1 greedy fool respnd's with their # out of 50,they are making money selling his #. Over at YT, some of the sore heads hate CL relay and insist they will only deal with people on the phone. They put their ph# in ads then complian about all the calls they get saying the warranty is about to expire on their 10 year old truck.:laughing:

I've wondered if the site hosts couldn't block ip addreses of those advertising $20k tractors for #1200.

/ Question about CraigsList #7  
Why not just put in the ad that you will remove the item when it's sold and not to ask if you still have it? Easy enough and then ignore the idiot's that ask if you still have it. Craigslist is a breeding ground for idiots and scam artist's

/ Question about CraigsList #8  
Another site that I can't figure out is Ebay… I've been looking for a Stihl Kombi powerhead for occasional use and was hoping not to buy new. I can't believe the prices people will pay; list price on the first unit I bid on is $399, the unit was obviously used quite a bit but the seller (pawn shop) has excellent ratings so I thought that if I could get it for $200 (free shipping) it would be a good deal.
That unit went for $275. I really don't need the biggest powerhead though, so have been pricing smaller, homeowner sizes. My local price new: $199.00 Used on Ebay; $249 PLUS $39.00 for shipping. Am I missing something here?

/ Question about CraigsList #9  
When you buy new from a local shop, you are just a customer. When you pay more for a used one on Ebay, you are a WINNER!

Bruce