Question About Iron Pipe Dimension

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #1  

downslope

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF TO-35, Ford(s) 2000, 8N, 9N, White 2-70, NH TD75D, JD 5045D
Should the inside dimension of a half-inch black iron pipe be the same as a half-inch galvanized pipe? The reason I ask is I'm building something for a gate where I need a 5/8" pin to fit inside the pipe. I was fiddling around with the pipe at the big-box store and it seemed the pin would fit snug in the black pipe but was no go in the galvanized, but I couldn't tell if the galvanized had a burr in it.:confused:

Last edited:
   / Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #2  
Iron pipe and tubing use different measurements. As well as it depends on what wall thickness you were looking at between the two.

So most likely no, you could try a steel supplier to find a solution or a machine shop usually has a reference book showing the ID's of various tube and pipe products that will fit your needs.

Last edited:
   / Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #3  
Steel pipe ID is the same for black and galvanized, however, the galvanized coating takes us a few thousandth in both ID and OD. They dont make different pipe sizes just for galvanizing. Just like painting, the coating adds to the thickness of the pipe. THis will be true for any size pipe, black is going to have a larger ID than galvanized. If I wanted to use it for pinning, I would just drill out the internal galvanizing to accept the pin and put a generous amount of grease on the pin to prevent it from rusting on the inside.

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #4  
NPS pipe sizes are standardized using the inside dimensions for all sizes up to and including 12" diameter. At that point the switch to the OD so a 14" pipe is 14" in outside diameter. For the pipe that you were looking at, it must have been 3/8" NPS standard wall with an outside diameter of .675" The OD would stay the same regardless of pipe wall thickness but the internal diameter would get smaller as the pipe schedule gets higher. 3/8" pipe only comes in schedule 40 and schedule 80 with .091 wall and .126 wall respectively, any thicker and it wouldnt have a hole in it. You can find this info for all pipes by searching the net with "pipe dimensions" as your search.

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #5  
Should the inside dimension of a half-inch black iron pipe be the same as a half-inch galvanized pipe? The reason I ask is I'm building something for a gate where I need a 3/8" pin to fit inside the pipe. I was fiddling around with the pipe at the big-box store and it seemed the pin would fit snug in the black pipe but was no go in the galvanized, but I couldn't tell if the galvanized had a burr in it.:confused:
As said, same pipe but with a galvanize coating that tightens the inner D slightly. Just measured -- 1/2 pipe ID ~ 0.630", 3/8 pipe ID ~ 0.470". These measurements are taken inward of the short rolled in/burr area normally left at the very end from cutting and threading the pipe.
larry

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #6  
actually pipe is standard on the out side of the pipe,
even tho the internal general or average is what it is called by,
and the internal diameter can be different depending on the wall thickness or pipe type,

the concern is to be able to thread the pipe and have it all work on the same threads,

as said galvanized most likely will be smaller ID as the coating will increase the pipe thickness,

but the schedule of the pipe will change the ID, and at times the material used in the pipe may the wall thickness as well,

schedule 40 is usually the normal pipe that is sold was water pipe,

this chart show the ID as well as the wall thickness for pipes,
USA Industries

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #7  
actually pipe is standard on the out side of the pipe,
even tho the internal general or average is what it is called by,
and the internal diameter can be different depending on the wall thickness or pipe type,

the concern is to be able to thread the pipe and have it all work on the same threads,

as said galvanized most likely will be smaller ID as the coating will increase the pipe thickness,

but the schedule of the pipe will change the ID, and at times the material used in the pipe may the wall thickness as well,

schedule 40 is usually the normal pipe that is sold was water pipe,

this chart show the ID as well as the wall thickness for pipes,
USA Industries
Beware of the many errors in wall thickness listed in chart.
larry

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension
Sorry, I made a mistake in the initial post.
The pin is 5/8" (.625) not 3/8". So the 1/2" pipe (.630" ID) should be perfect.
If I use the galvanized I'll just drill/ream it a little and grease it up.

I did some reading and there is nothing on 1/2" pipe that actually measures 1/2". It all relates back to early days of pipe and having to keep the same OD as manufacturing methods improved so that things of the same size could thread together.

Pipe (material) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #9  
Boy ,all this pipefitter talk makes me want to unretire!!!
ya right.................25years UA Locals 117&73:)

/ Question About Iron Pipe Dimension #10  
Does the pin HAVE to be 5/8? Maybe you could use a long 9/16" or 3/4" bolt/shaft to get a closer fit.