Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL,

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
I have a 1991 L35 Kubota that is the Pin On style for attaching the front bucket. I'd like to convert mine to a QA style for the great versatility it gives.

My question concerns the locking pin spacing. Since Bobcat's is the industry norm, how does it work when one is converting a non-QA to QA. I find it hard to believe that all loader arms are the same spacing.

If someone with knowledge about this could inform me as to how you make sure that your setup is going to work with the industry's norm, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all who reply

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #2  
It will use the standard quick attach skid steer mounting plate. They will weld brackets onto the plate at the spacing required based on the model of your loader. The height between the bottom pin on the loader and the pins for the tilt cylinders will also be correct based on your loader model/number. Therefore, it is sort of custom made to fit your loader. If you change tractors, the next loader most likely will not be able to use the same quick attach. I have seen some that are more universal and have brackets that can be moved in and out. This maybe helpful if you plan on changing loaders.

Remember, you will also need to weld a skid steer plate on the bucket or buy an adapter that will fit pin onto the bucket and then mount to the skid steer plate. I have a kasco unihitch.

http://www.edneyco.com/assets/files/category_public/Loaders/Kasco Uni Hitch.pdf

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #3  
It never clicked in my head that this was even possible. I'm waiting for you to do it so I can steal your plan:thumbsup:

Sure would be sweet for swapping stuff on my old ford 2910 loader.

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL,
radman1,

Thanks for the link. It seems like they have the least painless way of switching over. I've seen the kits for swapping out on the loader arms, but it always seemed like the conversion of one's own bucket was going to take a lot of fabing and welding.

With their system, you just pin on a QA plate that's made to one's own bucket specs.

I was wondering. If you have this system, how much do you lose in break out force and lifting capacity with the bucket moved forward those several inches? Just wondering.

Thanks again

hrcarver,

Here's a link to a thread where someone has done a masterful job of making his own QA. I've actually got some questions into the person who made up his own for some advice about my situation.

My attempt at a SSQA for Kubota - TractorByNet.com

Hope this helps you

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #6  
Then to top it off use a "electric linear actuator" but no less than 250 lbs - 500 lbs cap max.That way you don't have to leave the chair to change bucket to forks or anything you mite have.;) a special thanks to Trihonu :thumbsup: on the skid forum.P.S. looks the one that use to adjust the sat dish to bring in the show :D :laughing: :drink: cheers

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #7  
I have a 1991 L35 Kubota that is the Pin On style for attaching the front bucket. I'd like to convert mine to a QA style for the great versatility it gives.

My question concerns the locking pin spacing. Since Bobcat's is the industry norm, how does it work when one is converting a non-QA to QA. I find it hard to believe that all loader arms are the same spacing.

If someone with knowledge about this could inform me as to how you make sure that your setup is going to work with the industry's norm, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks to all who reply

Here are some photos to give you an idea how the skid steer QA attaches to my Mahindra 5525. Mahindra provides the adapter that attaches to the FEL arms and accommodates the standard size QA mating adapter like the one welded to the backside of the FEL bucket. You can see how the adapter is designed so it conforms to the standard skid steer QA dimensions.

DSCF0110 (Small).JPG DSCF0112 (Small).JPG DSCF0113 (Small).JPG DSCF0181 (Small).JPG DSCF0182 (Small).JPG

When I built a custom bale accumulator/squeeze last year, I found a standard size QA weld plate on eBay for about $80 plus shipping and welded it to the frame of the squeeze. Couldn't be easier.

DSCF0087 (Small).JPG DSCF0148 (Small).JPG DSCF0151 (Small).JPG

Thanks for the photos flusher,

What I'm finding is that the buckets on the FEL's used for more of the agricultural/estate use, have a flat back. Same as your bucket.

My problem is that on my L35, it has a rolled form back; therefore, it isn't just a simple matter of cutting off my bucket ears and using them for making the QA part that pins onto the loader arms. Also, buying QA weld plate and welding it onto my present bucket won't happen without the ability to fab filler gussets and the like.

At this point in time in my life, that kind of a build project is a bit beyond the scope of my fabricating skills. It'd be sweet if I had a mentor with the brains and tools to help me do this one on my own, but alas, I don't.

Someone told me of a slick unit built by Kasco Corp. It's a direct install with a Pin-On adapter for my bucket. Cost of the Uni_Hitch is $730 and the Pin-On adapter is $325. One problem told to me by my local implement dealer is that it cuts into your roll-up a fair amount. He said that if you do a lot of loader work with "heaping" buckets, you'd be disappointed in the end results. He had high praise for the quality of the parts though.

He said that the Kubota QA for my loader was around $350. I was shocked. I figured from Kubota for it to be a lot more.

I haven't decided what route to take yet. Cost alone makes the Genuine Kubota QA look mighty inviting. I might undertake trying to make the Pin-On for my bucket myself. I don't want to cut its ears off, if I can help it.

/ Question about Quick Attach kits for converting FEL, #9  
Once you get the QA on the loader arms the rest is easy. Any bucket for a QA will fit. I see a lot of buckets on CL and ebay at realy reasonable prices(cheaper than you could convert yours). If you ever sold the tractor and wanted the keep the QA you could put your old barckets and bucket back on.
Bill

Thanks for the input Hooked on HP,

I think I'll do something like that.

It seems that the cheapest means to me so far is to go with the Genuine Kubota QA. My local K dealer said it's around $350. Everyone else that builds after market is at least double this price.

I don't want to alter my original bucket. So, I would either buy a used QA or fab my own QA Pin-On plate to use my present bucket as is.

I've been told to go with the latter route will cost me some Roll-Up of the bucket. Until I actually used my bucket this way, I don't if I'd be happy or not with that particular setup. If not, I'd buy the used QA bucket and store my original.

If somebody has used the Kubota conversion kit, I'd love to know what they think of it. Does it "play well" with the industry standard SS QA attachments? Would you consider the quality to be to the same high standards as their tractors? I've heard that the tractors are built in Japan, but implements are all made Stateside.

Thanks to all for their help in this matter.