Question about quick attach spring loaded pins

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
How far are they supposed to go into the slot? I am not familiar with them. I bought cheap Titan latch boxes and I'm not sure if they are the wrong size pins or if they are going to wear in over time. I can make the slot a little wider with the plasma cutter if I have to. It's the same whether on my bucket with the plate I bought or the forks I just bought.
Thanks
PS they only go in about 1/3 of the way on the angle. I haven't really used either attachment yet to see if it will be a problem or not.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #2  
1/3 is about minimum. The pins may look like they are driven by springs, but the springs only take up downward slack remaining after the latch levers drive the pins positively downward to a set point - and then they inherently block any rise above that point. The springs cannot be relied upon to hold the pins fully down under use loads. The lever mechanism must absolutely block the pins rise out of the slots.

--That function is verry important because disengagement of an implement on one side can allow the QA frame to be twisted.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins
Thanks spyderlk, kind of what I suspected.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #4  
The main thing is the gap to the plate needs to be very small, this gap is too big and the pin is not touching the plate:

Forks3 gap 490.JPG

This pin is well seated:

570 Large.jpg

Exfaxman, thank you, I don't have any gap. The reason the pin isn't going in far is because it is hitting the plate. I'll try it a while, I can always take some out with the plasma cutter later on.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #6  
You're welcome. With no gap the pin doesn't need to go in very far.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #7  
The pin is spring loaded so as the SSQA shifts around in use it keeps tightening up. As long as at least 1/3 of the pin is engaging you are fine. As others have noted the bigger issue usually is no contact of the pin when they are fully down. Lots of problems with Titan impliments that way a while back.

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #8  
First comment is, since you are not familiar with using them, the tapered latch pins need to go firmly, very securely, into place or all sorts of havoc can happen. Main thing I think is to make sure the levers that lower the pins are all the way down and way past their "over center latching point" in travel so they stay down. Many times I have had trouble (using a skid steer bucket, a FEL mounted hydraulic cutter, etc. on my farm tractor) getting the latch pins to go fully down. They are not an interference fit but do tighten up with the sloped contact surface. Very common to need to stand on the lever to get it the rest of the way down when arm strength just isn't quite enough. If the levers are all the way down you'll be OK.

Here is another example of the latch pins in use with a skid-steer style bucket being mounted on a FEL frame via SSQA adapter. You may need to blow up this picture a bit to see well:

View attachment 56809720160526_161407.jpg

Notice that these pins are fully engaged but probably only at about half of the sloped surface point on the pin, if that much.

I think that the skid-steer interface is so well standardized that no manufacturer would dare be "off" on the dimensions of the holes, spacing, or plate retaining top pockets. I would not worry about that aspect at all (be it with Titan or whoever.) Large numbers of them out there, strength in numbers.

Last edited:
Well I'll leave things alone for now and see if they wear in over time.
I did unload a large box of kindling out of my truck today, I was impressed! I loaded the box at work, all 2x pieces cut off and out of the rafters on a house. (It was nice loading it with the Lull at work and unloading it at home with the tractor :))
4'x4'x3' tall, it will come in handy to warm the garage up this winter :)
1cFCZgEl.jpg

/ Question about quick attach spring loaded pins #10  
I think that the skid-steer interface is so well standardized that no manufacturer would dare be "off" on the dimensions of the holes, spacing, or plate retaining top pockets. I would not worry about that aspect at all (be it with Titan or whoever.) Large numbers of them out there, strength in numbers.

I recently bought a set of SSQA forks from Titan; one of the pins went in just fine, and the other would barely enter the hole at all and the lever was going no where. Gaps were fine, but the "loop" that the pin goes down into was too tight. I opened it up a few mm with a grinder and was able to get the pin lever to go "over center" as you put it - so yes they're out there (and other reviews on the titan forks warned me that this was quite possible so I wasn't surprised when it happened!).