Question about third function valve

/ Question about third function valve #21  
Attached is the install instructions for the Land Pride third function. I suggest you review this and compare to what was done for piece of mind.

Attachments

• 380-169m.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
   / Question about third function valve #22  
I think the dealer hooked it up right since it works. Using the install instructions as a guide, my best guess is that a backhoe would replace hard line 45 in figure 3 with a pair of soft lines to make a backhoe loop. The dealer likely added the valve hosing from figure 3 P1 to the valve P and then from the valve T to to the backhoe hoses. That would provide the traditional loader/3rd function/ hoe/ 3pt serial connection. But, without pics, we don't know...

/ Question about third function valve #23  
Makes me glad I have a WR Long 3rd function valve and don't have a backhoe. When I had the dealer install the 3rd function valve and grapple - he didn't even mention that Land Pride had a valve also.

/ Question about third function valve #24  
I think the dealer hooked it up right since it works. Using the install instructions as a guide, my best guess is that a backhoe would replace hard line 45 in figure 3 with a pair of soft lines to make a backhoe loop. The dealer likely added the valve hosing from figure 3 P1 to the valve P and then from the valve T to to the backhoe hoses. That would provide the traditional loader/3rd function/ hoe/ 3pt serial connection. But, without pics, we don't know...
Just because it works doesnt mean its right.

You can swap the backhoe and 3rd function and have flow as follows

Pump>Loader>backhoe>3rd function>3PH

Doing so, everything will work fine and you think you are good. But you will eventually blow the seals out of the backhoe valve.

Im not familiar with the tractor...but can only assume there referenced line #46 going from PB of the loader to T1 (they call tank port) on the tractor isnt actually returning to tank. Rather since it is coming from the PB of the loader it is likely going on to supply the 3PH.

Now on the OP's tractor, I suspect you are correct that line 46 was removed....PB from the loader feeds the backhoe, and the return from the backhoe goes to T1.

So the question is....did they install the 3rd function on the line foing from the PB of the loader to the Backhoe (correct), or did they install it on the line going from the backhoe to T1 (incorrect)

/ Question about third function valve #25  
Let's give the mechanic a little credit until the op gets back to the group.

/ Question about third function valve
As the mechanic stated there are steel lines from the pump to the loader valve P inlet (which is located behind your right foot). The T outlet is plumbed with a steel line back to the pump. Then a steel line comes off of the pump to the P fitting for the backhoe loop. Another steel line picks up the T line from the backhoe loop and returns to the top ot the tank.

I would take some pictures. But to get a clear view I would have to take off the right rear tire and possibly some cowling.

After looking at everything I understand the mechanics reluctance to start cutting the steel lines while the tractor is under warranty. Besides, if he did cut a line and created a leak I would expect the dealer to fix the problem.

I understand that some people have no use for the backhoe. Personally, about 110-120 of the 150 hours on the tractor have been with the backhoe. I love having it available for my use, when I want/need it and time allows.

After looking everything over I don't see how a WR Long or any other brand of third function valve would make the installation easier.

I am very happy that I went with the third function valve. I have already had a few situations where being able to curl and clamp have been beneficial.

While I would like to not have to deal with the backhoe loop when wanting to use the grapple, it seems that at least for a little while I will have to.

Again, thanks for the input.

Randy

/ Question about third function valve #27  

While I would like to not have to deal with the backhoe loop when wanting to use the grapple, it seems that at least for a little while I will have to.

Randy
This statement causes me concern. Previously you said you could use your backhoe and 3rd function at the same time. If not, it is not plumbed correctly. It behooves you to spend some time working this out and you sufficient expertise at your fingertips right now.

Take a look at the installation instructions posted and see if you can trace the lines and at least narratively tell us how it is plumbed. Even bad pictures may help.

This is important and easily fixed if it is wrong.

I can use the third function valve and backhoe at the same time. I just have to make sure that I don't hook the backhoe up first. Both the backhoe and third function valve have hoses that hookup after the steel fittings going to the backhoe loop. Some day when have plenty of time I will try to figure something out after the steel fittings.

Randy

/ Question about third function valve #29  
I have not found a backhoe install manual for your tractor/backhoe combination, but I did find a Youtube video of it. I now have more insight into the problems with this install. The backhoe install replaces the Item 46 hose with two rearward going hard lines. The P1 end terminates in a QD, the T1 end terminates in a rubber line with the opposite sex QD. When the hoe is not installed, the two hoses are connected to keep the hydraulic loop intact.

I just have to make sure that I don't hook the backhoe up first.

This statement gives me hope the 3rd function is plumbed before the backhoe. I would like to see pictures from the rear with the 3rd function hoses plugged in though. I am guessing that they extended the 3rd function hoses to the rear and added matching QDs to the hoses. They could have precluded any connection errors by removing the backhoe QD from its hardline and connecting the 3rd function rubber hose P line directly to the hardline with an appropriate adapter (likely a NPT coupler, maybe NPT to JIC coupler) Please provide some pics.

Here is a picture of the back of the tractor. They plumbed the third function valve to use the quick couples and hoses that makeup the backhoe loop. I can leave the grapple connected to the side supplying pressure, then connect backhoe to the t side of the grapple and finish with the t side of the backhoe going to the tank. Not a real elegant solution, but it works. If I do that then I have FEL, grapple and backhoe all working.

I understand the hesitation to start cutting the metal lines while everything is under warranty.

Randy 20210921_114817.jpg