Question about TO-35...

/ Question about TO-35... #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
My hunt club has a '57 TO-35 and the 3pt lift doesn't work sometimes. There's supposed to be a filter (or screen?) for the hydraulic fluid inside the trans. housing on the lefthand side, just behind a round access cover. I think the cover is also where the PTO engagement lever exits the tranny, but I'm going by memory on that so I could be wrong.
Is it possible to pull the round access cover off, and remove the filter for cleaning/replacement without draining all the fluid out? Seems like the round cover is probably above the fluid line, so we were wondering if we could check the filter without pulling the drain plug. Or should we just go ahead and plan on pulling the plug??? We just want to pull the filter and make sure it's not clogged up or anything. Thanks!

/ Question about TO-35... #2  
To remove the side cover you need to drain oil below bottom bolt hole of cover, but... your 1957 TO35 won't have a hydraulic filter, the early style pumps didn't have one, if it turns out your pump is bad you will have to replace it with the later style pump as i don't think rebuild kits are available for the early pumps.

/ Question about TO-35... #3  
I don't know if the TO 35 would be much different from my 66 135. Mine was acting similar to what you're describing shortly after I bought it. Hyd fluid was so full of water it looked like a caramel milkshake, it was a wonder I didn't burn the pump out of it. Changed the fluid, opened it up to make sure the ring on the lift cylinder etc was still in good shape. Have had to rig the linkages for better response this past year and change the upper link spring but it's working great.

A few pics of what mine looked like tore apart.

Attachments

• HPIM0647.JPG
    HPIM0647.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 4,946
  • HPIM0654.JPG
    HPIM0654.JPG
    765.8 KB · Views: 2,415
  • HPIM0653.JPG
    HPIM0653.JPG
    740.9 KB · Views: 677
  • HPIM0649.JPG
    HPIM0649.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 1,095
  • HPIM0655.JPG
    HPIM0655.JPG
    750 KB · Views: 758
  • HPIM0659.JPG
    HPIM0659.JPG
    797.9 KB · Views: 5,537
  • HPIM0660.JPG
    HPIM0660.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 1,722
   / Question about TO-35... #4  
kebo
Do you have the Ferguson Shop Manual (I&T Shop Service Manuals) ??

That would be a good place to start, if you don't. They are pretty helpful, along with the great info from here on TBN

I had a TO-30, and at 10 below F one winter, the hyd. lift quit.
I backed it in the garage, read the R&R section of the I&T manual for hyd. pump repair. The first thing I noticed was to drain the oil. It was so cold, took 2 days to drain.
Removed the pump, had it on my bench. Went back to read more detail in the I&T manual and the first sentence read something like "Before pulling the pump, reach in the side port/cover and see if some rod was sticking. Loosen and test the hyd. to make sure that is the only problem". Turns out that was the only problem, and in my haste I had a perfectly good pump, 3 days of time invested. Put it all back together and never had another problem with the hydraulics. :) But it wasn't the manuals fault. :eek:

/ Question about TO-35... #5  
Sounds like a similar setup to mine beenthere.

Also, when looking through your side cover, the standpipe (upper left photo, running from the pump to the upper left corner of the photo) that comes from the pump up to the aux block on mine has o-rings on either end.

I've had to replace the top o-ring (took the block off, curiosity got the better of me and when checking it after re-installing, fluid sprayed everywhere :eek:, looked like a shower when looking in through the side cover). Surprising how little it takes to lose pressure when the pump only delivers 4.5 gpm. Fortunately you can change them without removing the top cover, that weighs a ton......

/ Question about TO-35... #6  
............Fortunately you can change them without removing the top cover, that weighs a ton......

That thought went through my mid when I saw the pics. Did you have a tranny lift to get it up?

/ Question about TO-35... #7  
No, unfortunately not. A good friend who like me belongs to the strong back / weak mind club.....

Was glad to have taken the opportunity to take a good look at everything, gives me confidence. I sure wouldn't do it solely out of curiosity, like you said, three days work.

Last edited:
   / Question about TO-35...
Thanks for the responses, and for the pic's too. Gonna see if I can get my balky HP printer to work and print off copies of the pic's. We do have an IT manual for the tractor, but it's in the cabin up at the hunt club, where the tractor is too obviously.

We plan to get up there in the next week or two and will probably drain out the fluid anyway so we can take the side covers off and have a look see at everything. we changed out the fluid last year but found out later we used the wrong stuff. We put in some multi viscosity tractor/trans fluid. Should have used a multigrade 15W/30 GL1 type oil. That may be part of our problem.

This has brought up a couple other questions:
When we pull the left side cover off that has the PTO engage lever in it, is there anything tricky about it? It looks like it just has a shaft that snugs up underneath a groove on the sliding collar on the main shaft. If I'm right, after you loosen the bolts, you just pull it straight out? To reinstall, just slide it in straight so it lines back up?

Thanks again!

/ Question about TO-35... #9  
Kebo, the oil you have in your TO35 could be the whole problem, you should be using GL1 90wt MINERAL oil to MF specs M1103, you can get it at NAPA in 5 and 1gal containers.

/ Question about TO-35... #10  
My recollection is you can take the covers off without draining the tranny. Could be wrong, but check it out.