Question about towing with my new truck

/ Question about towing with my new truck #21  
bialecki said:
That is great to know seeing that I just took delivery of my new 08 Ford SD 250 with the tow package. I plan on using the truck to tow my Kubota B7800, FEL and Woods BH-70X ~ weight 4,000 pounds.

See the attached picture of the truck still on the dealer's lot :)

Nice truck is it the 5.4 v8 or the 6.8 v10 gas?

/ Question about towing with my new truck #22  
Marcussen said:
Nice truck is it the 5.4 v8 or the 6.8 v10 gas?

The truck has the 5.4l gas engine. Second Ford pickup that I bought. The first was a 2004 F-150. Had a couple of issues, rusted out right rear quarter panel after two years, I kept the truck garaged as well. It was a factory defect on certain FX4 F150s. The second issue was a oil leak in the engine timing cover, the gasket developed a leak at 34,000 miles. In all cases Ford did an acceptable repair. Since I bought a Kubota B7800 with a FEL and a Woods BH I wanted a bit heavier truck and the new redesigned Super Duty trucks are indeed very nice and since my wife liked it so did I.:D

The new 6.4 diesel looks nice from an engineering perspective, however as one Ford mechanic put it, give it a year to prove itself. The dealer had a brand new 08 diesel in the shop with the cab removed doing an engine replacement.

I had Dodges in the past, nice truck, but I like the overall integrity and build of the Ford a bit better. GMC, I had a K10 back in 1980, don't get me started! :mad: I know a lot has changed since then in design, but I have been soured on Chevy/ GMC. Who knows what the future will bring. I just don't see Nissian or Toyota as "heavy duty" truck builders as of this time (in a little while maybe, but not right now, great cars from both of them)

/ Question about towing with my new truck #23  
john_bud said:
Tow / haul features are meant to be used. It's a bit surprising that folks don't want to use it. It's far more than just an OD lockout. Raises shift points, less slip between shifts (firmer), TC lock points, and a lot more. Just hit the button and go. On the highway, you won't see much diff, but you will everywhere else. It should also make that expensive trans last a lot longer. But hey, it's your $5k rebuild ....

jb

For some reason I feel like I was just called stupid.... but OTOH I really only do highway towing... and there is no way to do 70 without my OD.... Also, I can pretty well control the shift point with my right foot anyway.... I can tell you that if the WIFE tows.... I haver her use the tow mode cuz she will end up lugging the crude out of it with her super light foot....:eek:

/ Question about towing with my new truck #24  
Hello Gentlemen;

Can you expand on "light foot"? I drive a F250 PSD also, and wonder if I drive too much like a grandma?

Thanks,

Jackie

/ Question about towing with my new truck #25  
rback33 said:
For some reason I feel like I was just called stupid.... but OTOH I really only do highway towing... and there is no way to do 70 without my OD.... Also, I can pretty well control the shift point with my right foot anyway.... I can tell you that if the WIFE tows.... I haver her use the tow mode cuz she will end up lugging the crude out of it with her super light foot....:eek:

Nope! Didn't mean to infer that anyone was stupid.

My comment was that in general, it seems that many folks are thinking of the modern "tow/haul" button a just a OD lockout. It isn't. In fact, it allows the OD to safely work, locks the torque converter at different RPM's and changes the shift points, band apply pressures and does other software magic especially with the downshift programs. It also keeps people from lugging the engine with a load and keeps the trany from going into OD at 40 mph!

For 99+% of the people, it's far better to tow with it on than off.

Also, I can't verify but did hear that if you smoke your tranny while pulling a load and it wasn't in T/H (logged by the computer) - you bought yourself a heap of trouble. Won't be covered by warranty. That was supposedly Ford doing that. Could be just smoke being blown - don't know.

Again, no intention of demeaning anyone who chooses to ignore the T/H function.

jb

/ Question about towing with my new truck #26  
JackieB said:
Hello Gentlemen;

Can you expand on "light foot"? I drive a F250 PSD also, and wonder if I drive too much like a grandma?

Thanks,

Jackie

IF she ever gets to 60... it takes a mile or better to get there.... I can get an 80,000 lb freightliner w/ a 13 spd and 4:10 rear to 60 in less than that... but I have a heavier foot.... the way she drives, it shifts much sooner than it should.

john_bud said:
Nope! Didn't mean to infer that anyone was stupid.

My comment was that in general, it seems that many folks are thinking of the modern "tow/haul" button a just a OD lockout. It isn't. In fact, it allows the OD to safely work, locks the torque converter at different RPM's and changes the shift points, band apply pressures and does other software magic especially with the downshift programs. It also keeps people from lugging the engine with a load and keeps the trany from going into OD at 40 mph!

For 99+% of the people, it's far better to tow with it on than off.

Also, I can't verify but did hear that if you smoke your tranny while pulling a load and it wasn't in T/H (logged by the computer) - you bought yourself a heap of trouble. Won't be covered by warranty. That was supposedly Ford doing that. Could be just smoke being blown - don't know.

Again, no intention of demeaning anyone who chooses to ignore the T/H function.

jb

I knew what u meant, but it was slightly ambiguous so I thought I would give you a ribbing... You make an interesting point about the computer though... I have wondered how much of a tattletale it could be. People always talk about smoking stuff with chips or programmers and then getting warranty work done... sure the stuff is pulled out before you take it in, but won't the computer still tell them them vehicle was functioning outside of stock settings?

Last edited:
   / Question about towing with my new truck
It apparently can be a big tattletale. My Ford diesel owners CD states that any aftermarket chip or settings or any outlyers in parameters are recorded and can be downloaded at the dealership. Specifically, it talks about aftermarket chips, which to my knowledge are not widely available for the new engine anyway, can easily be detected, even if removed before service.

John M

/ Question about towing with my new truck #28  
jcmseven said:
It apparently can be a big tattletale. My Ford diesel owners CD states that any aftermarket chip or settings or any outlyers in parameters are recorded and can be downloaded at the dealership. Specifically, it talks about aftermarket chips, which to my knowledge are not widely available for the new engine anyway, can easily be detected, even if removed before service.

John M

That only makes sense to me. Computers track EVERYTHING... there is no way the thing couldn't tell on you. I assume my 03 Dodge can do the same. Salesmen tell me all the time that "chipping" my pickup will not void the warranty, but I am not running the risk. When the 100,000 mile warranty on the engine runs out... then we'll talk... :D