Tractor Sizing Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long)

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #1  

kcook

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Lawn Tractor
I need some advice on what make the most sense. Never owning a Subcut or Cut I need some help:)

I have about 2.5 acre of land currently that I care for, we have bought over 3 acres of land to build on. My questions;

I have looked at both BX24 and Kioti CK25 tractors, 2 different types (sub CUT and CUT). Let me explain.

Our current needs include cutting 2.5 acres of grass, we need to landscape 1 acres of this land, and some of this includes moving rocks (basket ball size) and gravel around my current home. I have some short mounds of dirt to dig up, size of a small car and smaller. I also need to build a retaining wall with the rocks and backfill with dirt.

Once we move, we will have a new home to work on, new landscaping around the new home and property. As well as maintenance and clearing of a long drive way and ¼ mile of road. The new home will be landscaped with stone.

Other needs; at this point I know I will need a PHD, Loader for sure, rear blade and a box blade. Other possible attachments include a Brush hog (if we only mow part of the 3+ acres).

We will have a large deck to install, and a large fenced in area and holes for a pole barn.

Cost, I have looked at both units and they fit into our current price range.

Tractors: I have looked at everything in our area. These two tractors dealers fit our needs in price and service so I would like to stick to these two tractors.

The BX will be a better mower. My thought is with the smaller lifting capacity, the backhoe would be a good fit, and also I could plant and or move some tree in my new land. I’m worried that the smaller SubCut will have some issues in PHD and in road maintenance.

The larger Kioti would handle larger 3 point implements better but my hope is the FEL would be able to do the digging I need now and down the road. The BX will mow much better, but with the new land I can set it up so a rear mount mower would work.

What are your thoughts?

KC

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #2  
I have 4 acres but finish mow 2.5 acres. The other 1.5 I let a neighbor cut for hay at this time but I wouldn't hessitate to purchase a 48" bushhog if I needed to keep it knocked down. There are times when I actiually WANT that extra seat time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have an 05 BX23w/a 60" MMM. I use it primarily for finish mowing and thus far it's also done a very good job of being my utility tractor too. So good in fact that I've sold my L130 lawn mower and TE20 utility tractor, letting teh BX23 do it all.

Other than test driving a CK20, which I liked very much but discounted it because it priced in almost $1K higher than a comparably equipped B7510, so I won't comment on the CK25 other to say that it probably weighs in at about double what the BX24 does.
I went with the BX23 over a CUT because the primary role of the machine was to finish mow. My property used to be a farm and most of my lawn was formerly pasture & garden so I wanted a fully floating deck so it wouldn't get beat to death finish mowing and the BX23's 60" MMM fit that spec to a "T" for me. It gives a premium quality lawn mower cut and the power steering and HST make it one of the most comfortable mowers I'ver ever used. Even with bar tires the light weight of the BX23 doesn't damage the turf, not even when its damp/wet.

I've used the BX23 to dig out a small pond and more stumps than I can recall. I've used the FEL for digging and lifting and it's done fine. I'ved moved & spread gravel, spread and leveled dirt, planted many trees and shrubs, dug up and moved rocks weighing more than I could lift and even used it to demolish a large deck & above ground pool and fill the large hole back in.
Changing from a TLB to a finish mower and back (remove the BH & FEL and mount the MMM) takes minutes and doesn't require any tools. Since I had the rear tires loaded I don't need the BH mounted nor a weight box to balance out the loads in the FEL.
I haven't planted a garden in a few seasons now so I haven't purchased a disc nor bottom plow for it so I can't comment on how it does working ground attachments but since I have used such implements with a garden tractor and a TE20 Ferguson in the past I have no doubt that the BX can handle it.
I haven't used it with a PHD either so I can't comment on it either except to say that there are many manf's of SCUT sized implements out there so perhaps someone will comment on that for you. I have set a few fence polls but I used the BH to dig the holes.

The BX23/24 while smaller is still a tractor and it will work all day long and do it being stingy on the fuel.

If finish mowing is going to be the primary function of your future tractor than a BX24 w/a 60"MMM will work out fine for you. The "U" in SCUT = utility dontcha know /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck
Volfandt

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #3  
After reading your post, I have a couple of thoughts. There are a couple of things that make me say you need the larger tractor, and one is the shortness of the BX. You want to use a PHD, you'll have to buy a short one designed for the limited 3pt hitch. Also, the position control on the BX is not true position control, but 1/4 inching, less accurate.

Beyond those things, I think the BX will do many of the jobs you want to do. I'm a little unclear as to whether you were planning the backhoe with the CK25, but I think you're saying you're planning to dig with the loader if you buy the CK25. Don't count on the loader doing the kind of digging you may need. They are really not designed for digging, although most of us do quite a bit of it, it just isn't for a lot of deep digging. You're talking stress and wear when trying to seriously dig with a loader.

The BX would win out if you have a lot of digging to do where the backhoe would come in as the "proper" tool to use.

I can't help feeling though that you're going to "need" the heavier tractor for much of what you want to do.

I know this probably isn't a lot of help, but these are my thoughts on it.
John

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #4  
The CK25/30 is a big machine for 2.5 acres. The heavy frame may be great for all the digging and heavy work you have to do but after you get things roughed in the CK25 may be too big for what you need (only you will be able to make this decision). I would test drive the CK20. It is a bit bigger and more capable than the BX series but is still a great yard machine.

Some other thoughts...the BX24 may do what you want but the CK20 or CK25 may just do it faster (unless you get a BH with one but not the other).

Thinking on rocks...my CK30 will carry rocks...500-700lb rocks, which are more the size of a motercycle than a basketball /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RE...the CK20...you should check out KiotiJohn's pictures of what he is able to do with his machine!!! It's impressive!

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I need some advice on what make the most sense. Never owning a Subcut or Cut I need some help:)

I have about 2.5 acre of land currently that I care for, we have bought over 3 acres of land to build on. My questions;

I have looked at both BX24 and Kioti CK25 tractors, 2 different types (sub CUT and CUT). Let me explain.

Cost, I have looked at both units and they fit into our current price range.

Tractors: I have looked at everything in our area. These two tractors dealers fit our needs in price and service so I would like to stick to these two tractors.

What are your thoughts?

KC )</font>

I think you need to expand your search. The CK25 is the better machine for your big construction tasks, but it is a lously long term mowing machine. The BX is the better machine for your long term mowing needs, but is a lousy machine for your short term construction tasks.

2 machines that fit between what you are looking at come to mind as good machine choices, it keeps you both of the 2 dealerships you have chosen.

A CK20 is a very nice machine that fits in between those two in terms of size and capabilities, I'd prefer more PTO hp for mowing than the CK20 offers.

A B7610 is a very nice machine, it is roughly similar in size to the CK20 but offers almost as much HP as the CK25. It is an outstanding mowing machine and a very good landscape machine.

Either of these two machines would probably be a better choice for your long term needs. Either of these two machines is a better choice than the BX for your short term needs.

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #6  
I can say that a sub cut such as my 2210 could probably do most of what you want except brush hogging -because of a tranny cooling fan underneath. a spee-co phd does work with the 2210 I hear. However if money is not the issue I would certainly advise going one size larger. the upcoming 2320 comes to mind but not sure what others. what replaced the 4010 size? sorry I don't know the sizes of other brands except maybe someting the size of a Cub 7000 series.

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long)
I have looked at the smaller CK20, I thought it could use some more power as well. I will ask in the Kioti section. I have also looked at the B7610, I might go down that road as well.

As for BachHoe, my thoughts were with the smaller lifting capacity and other factors the Backhoe could assist in the digging. I don't have to dig deep, I have not seen anything I needed to dig that my brother in his small 16pto Cut has not dug up. My worry was the road maintenance with the smaller tractor? Any thoughts?

KC

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #8  
I have a CK20 TLB. I don't doubt it could accomplish your listed tasks efficiently. I am doing about the same thing plus more land clearing and I'm happy with it. I occasionally wish for a bulldozer but not for a bigger tractor. However, I would not hesitate to go for the BX24 either with the tasks you list. The amount of digging you describe is not out of the BX24s range at all. Likewise, the 7510 and 7610 would easily handle your work.

Each of these machines can handle a 60" finish mower (MMM or RFM) and each has FEL capacity adequate for moving dirt etc. More FEL capacity might be important if you are trying to clear land but even there all these machines would work, some just faster than others.

/ Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #9  
   / Question about tractor size Cut vs SubCut (long) #10  
Brown59,
Are you saying for the guy to buy THREE tractors? I think you are missing the gist of the conversation.I believe he was trying to ascertain which ONE tractor would accomplish his chore list.
John