Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
is it actually aluminum? I can not find that info anywhere on the web. P/n: 60-0000267

here is a picture, but I do not want to make any guesses, or assumptions....

handle.jpg

Thank you for your time, and I hope everyone has a memorable, and safe holiday!

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #2  
Stick a magnet to it. Not always definitive but close enough for me.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle
I certainly would do that...if I owned the handle. The handle is 2-3 times the cost of a zinc/galvanized steel handle, but is the price difference because it is aluminum, or because it is a 'manufacturer/ dealer' item? I would gladly order one, and pay the higher price if it is actually aluminum.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #4  
I certainly would do that...if I owned the handle. The handle is 2-3 times the cost of a zinc/galvanized steel handle, but is the price difference because it is aluminum, or because it is a 'manufacturer/ dealer' item? I would gladly order one, and pay the higher price if it is actually aluminum.
Disney, I feel your anguish--I too--have often found myself wondering ,,,, Is it worth it?? Unless you get extremely lucky and bump up against another owner of this exact item; you're going to have to bite the bullet and just buy it to see!
Please just come back and tell us the results because I sure would like to know the answer to a quite "Valid" question.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #6  
You cannot cold draw aluminum like that. It will crack. It's mild steel, most likely AKDQ which is in street speak, Aluminum Killed Drawing Quality hot rolled sheet.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #7  
is it actually aluminum? I can not find that info anywhere on the web. P/n: 60-0000267

here is a picture, but I do not want to make any guesses, or assumptions....

View attachment 840258

Your picture looks very much like it is steel.

I recently picked up an older Aluma trailer, but alas, no handle.

My trailer was modified by the previous owner, and is somewhat tongue heavy, so I don't believe the handle would help much. However, if you're lugging something around, a couple of pounds of weight savings might be significant. However, your difference in weight of steel vs aluminum may be somewhat close to 5 lbs vs 3 lbs or so.

I have an older Haulin 4x8 flatbed trailer, 2 wheel. I don't believe it ever had a jack. I just pick up the tongue and pull it onto the trailer ball to hitch up. Frequently I'll loop the safety chains over the tongue and catch the hook back into the chains. Then use the chains for pulling the trailer around, including moving it downhill 50+ feet by hand. It makes a good handle.

Oh, thinking of your handle. I see the hitch latch sticks up a bit. However, consider how your hitch will impact opening your pickup tailgate.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #8  
For the difference in price, knowing which one will bolt on and which one may not is worth something to me.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #9  
For the difference in price, knowing which one will bolt on and which one may not is worth something to me.
I wouldn't stress over a $10 or $20 purchase.

It is quite possible that the bolt holes on the trailer couplers are relatively standardized. However, I wish vendors would take the time to make the critical measurements so one could make sure it would fit before purchase.

I bought my Aluma trailer well used (2004 model). There seems to be a lot of wear around the coupler bolts. Before I use it again, I'll have to pull it apart and try to figure out a way to secure the coupler to make it safe.

I don't know how many miles the trailer has. However, I would encourage at least making sure your coupler is very tight if you mess around with the bolts. I fear it is a design weakness with the trailers.

/ Question for aluma trailer owners with the coupler/tongue handle #10