Question for the Bush hoggers

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #1  

NCMau

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 202/Ford 8N
I have a old bush hog that is equipped with chain support instead of rigid brackets. My usage for this equipment is rare and the working range is limited to feet instead of miles. I removed the tail wheels because is easier to maneuver for an occasional small clearing in the woods.
My question is, would be better have rigid brackets or chains? I realize that chains would allow to follow an uneven ground but I am not so sure that it would be better for my situation especially with the tail wheels out.
What you think?

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #2  
With no tail wheel(s), theoretically, it won't matter because the tail wheel(s) are the only thing that touches the ground. No ground contact= no flexing with a chain attachment and no stress on a rigid one.

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #3  
...would be better have rigid brackets or chains?...
Either one is fine... as for "Rigid Brackets", they are not really rigid... they do allow free play in the system. The toplink will pivot around allowing movement.

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #4  
I wouldn't run MY rotary cutter without the tail wheel...

I can't see how that can be a good thing, as it lets the blades hit the ground easier...

SR

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #5  
I wouldn't run MY rotary cutter without the tail wheel...

I can't see how that can be a good thing, as it lets the blades hit the ground easier...

SR

Agreed- Using the blade as the first point of contact is not a recipe for long mower life. I know it happens but it is not a good thing.

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #6  
If you back up against a hill, no tail wheel will be a problem. Also same situation, a chain instead of a toplink could allow the PTO U-Joint angles to be more than design limit and bind?

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #7  
I've seen cutters with skids on the sides instead of a tailwheel.

Bruce

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #8  
Every cutter I've ever owned has had skids on the side, all of them had tail wheels too...

SR

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #9  
I've seen cutters with skids on the sides instead of a tailwheel.

Bruce

Skids are not meant to be drug - they are there to hopefully keep it from digging too hard. If you drag them much they are gone quickly. A rolling object like a tail wheel and the tractor wheels are what are supposed to hold it. Pulltype units have wheels front and back.

/ Question for the Bush hoggers #10  
These skids I mentioned were meant to be the only support. There was no provision for a tailwheel, and the skids were taller (lower?) and wider than the skids on a regular cutter.

There was a lot of homemade equipment on small farms in the 40's and 50's after welders became common. Those I saw may have been homemade.

Cutters were often tongue-pulled as 3pt hitches were rare. They had two wheels on the side or rear.

Here's the first image I found.

Ford-RotaryCutter-skids.jpg

Bruce

Last edited: