Question from a NH TC30 owner

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #1  

TomWhite

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 3005
Okay, here is the deal. I have a NH TC30 that I am very pleased with. The only exception to my pleasure in using this tractor is that the TC30 is a standard gear transmission, and I think after about four years now I would prefer a hydro drive tractor.

The Deere dealership is a good bit closer to where I live, so I am giving consideration to trading in the NH for a Deere.

I mainly use this tractor for keeping fields cut (5 ft. rotary cutter) and plowing a fairly long driveway of snow.

What in the Deere lineup would satisfy these needs:

Hydro drive
4 wheel drive
power steering
Being able to use my 5 ft. rotary cutter.
Being able to use my 5 ft. rear blade.

I have absolutely no interest in a front end loader.

So, what model in the Deere lineup do you recommend?

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #2  
Okay, here is the deal. I have a NH TC30 that I am very pleased with. The only exception to my pleasure in using this tractor is that the TC30 is a standard gear transmission, and I think after about four years now I would prefer a hydro drive tractor.

The Deere dealership is a good bit closer to where I live, so I am giving consideration to trading in the NH for a Deere.

I mainly use this tractor for keeping fields cut (5 ft. rotary cutter) and plowing a fairly long driveway of snow.

What in the Deere lineup would satisfy these needs:

Hydro drive
4 wheel drive
power steering
Being able to use my 5 ft. rotary cutter.
Being able to use my 5 ft. rear blade.

So, what model in the Deere lineup do you recommend?

check out any of the 3x20 models(3120,3320,3520,3720). those sound like they would fit the bill perfectly for your needs!

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #3  
I agree with rolling farms.... Depending on the "size" (heavy duty, or light duty) of your rotary cutter, you might get by with a 2720. I have a MX5 (fairly HD RC) on my 3720, and I don't even know its back there. I wish I would have bought an MX6.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #4  
You could also get one of the cheaper 3203s.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #5  

I'd also reccomend the 3x20 series....

Front end loader...If resale is even a remote possibility, dont buy a tractor without a FEL. Resale on a machine without a loader is bad.

Case in point around here...
Deere 955, MMM, Turfs, good shape, NO Loader... 5-6k, good luck selling it...
That same tractor WITH a Loader will sell for 10-11K all day long.
Even if you park the loader the day you buy it, You will still make out on the back end...IF resale is something you're thinking about.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #6  
You might find John Deere's new 3E series, models 3032E and 3038E to be a perfect fit for your needs. "Starting at $13,619" per the John Deere website and the specifications seem to be pretty similar to the TC-30 you are familiar with.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #7  
If you like tour NH, and NH dealer, and would like to stay with this color, get a TC30, T1510, T1520 hydro.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #8  
I would suggest sticking to the 3x20 series as well. But how do you operate your tractor now being that it's a gear drive? What I mean is do you useually run around with the RPMs not set very high, being that you don't need it with a stick?, because with a hydro your going to have to run the RPM's nominally higher to get good response out of the transmission. That was probably one of the main selling points of me getting a PowrReverser transmission over the hydro. Just take that into consideration.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner
I would suggest sticking to the 3x20 series as well. But how do you operate your tractor now being that it's a gear drive? What I mean is do you useually run around with the RPMs not set very high, being that you don't need it with a stick?, because with a hydro your going to have to run the RPM's nominally higher to get good response out of the transmission. That was probably one of the main selling points of me getting a PowrReverser transmission over the hydro. Just take that into consideration.

Being that most of my tractor time is spent with the rotary cutter, I am running the engine at about 2400RPMs. (I may be off on that, just going from memory.) There are a lot of areas that I need to back in to, in order to get under large trees, the edge of a creek bank (more like a ledge or bluff), along one side of a lake, etc.. I just get a bit tired of the shifting when I have to do these areas. You would almost have to see the property to understand what I mean.

I'll also bet I could get away from the yellow jackets more quickly with an HST than I can currently. :eek:

I guess another thing is I remember going from a gear drive lawn tractor to one with the Hydro and have absolutely loved the change. I will never, as in ever, use a gear riding mower again.

/ Question from a NH TC30 owner #10  
Being that most of my tractor time is spent with the rotary cutter, I am running the engine at about 2400RPMs. (I may be off on that, just going from memory.) There are a lot of areas that I need to back in to, in order to get under large trees, the edge of a creek bank (more like a ledge or bluff), along one side of a lake, etc.. I just get a bit tired of the shifting when I have to do these areas. You would almost have to see the property to understand what I mean.

I'll also bet I could get away from the yellow jackets more quickly with an HST than I can currently. :eek:

I guess another thing is I remember going from a gear drive lawn tractor to one with the Hydro and have absolutely loved the change. I will never, as in ever, use a gear riding mower again.

I have to do the same thing on my property and have found that just being able to flip a lever to go in reverse while still being able to face backwards is great, but I wouldn't mind it if I had to shift on a regular trans. That's one thing that bothers on the Reverser, when you flip in reverse your in the same speed so sometimes it may be too fast for your reverse speed, so you end up needing to shift. This wouldn't happen on a regular stick. But if you've been happy with a hydro then I would go that route. The only reason I didn't was because I like the most power to the ground. Hydro would definately give you more precision in backing up slower.