Question on 3-phase well pump

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #21  
Is it true that a 3 phase motor will run backward if wired incorrectly and can be "fixed" by reversing two wires?

Switching any two phases will change the motor's direction of rotation.
If you want a sanity check on the three phase detail. In three phase power, the voltage between each phase should be pretty much equal.

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #22  
Switching any two phases will change the motor's direction of rotation.
If you want a sanity check on the three phase detail. In three phase power, the voltage between each phase should be pretty much equal.

Let to leg the same, and to be sure measure leg to ground. Assuming a "Y" connection you should get about 60% of the leg to leg from each leg to ground.

Paul

/ Question on 3-phase well pump
Thought I would update the thread if anyone was to view it as a knowledge base.
The particular pump attached on the 3-phase motor would not pump water when the pump ran backward. Did not seem to have any negative impacts but never left the power on for more than 5-10 seconds with the motor running backward before reversing leads. The original installer did not wire the leads color coded correctly which is what I thought was the case.

The motor was a Franklin-Electric
4-Inch Motor Specifications | 4-Inch | Franklin Electric
and was a three phase 460 volt motor despite all the individuals who commented that I could/did not have a 3-phase motor in the well.

I will not specify the amount of water that was "wasted" to accomplish this test required by the government but at least the trees in the forest nearby appreciated it.

Last edited:
You've got 3 phase power coming in off the street ?

That's pretty rare for a home power supply.

Subsequent posting

No it is not residential and no I have never heard of residential service having 3 phase power under any normal circumstances.

Holy smokes, that's a huge motor for a backyard residential single dwelling well system.

I don't mean to be abrupt/rude but the number of posters that responded thinking they knew the facts and never read the posts out numbered the folks that were thoughtful and tried to answer the question without assuming facts not in evidence and conjured out of the ether.

It was never stated that it was residential/backyard/single dwelling or anything like that. As a matter of fact it was stated that indeed it was not residential.

Having said that thank you for your postings anyway Willl.

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #26  
Subsequent posting

I don't mean to be abrupt/rude but the number of posters that responded thinking they knew the facts and never read the posts out numbered the folks that were thoughtful and tried to answer the question without assuming facts not in evidence and conjured out of the ether.

It was never stated that it was residential/backyard/single dwelling or anything like that. As a matter of fact it was stated that indeed it was not residential.

Having said that thank you for your postings anyway Willl.

Glad it all worked out for you in the end,,, I know what you mean about the "help" you get here sometimes...:confused:

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #27  
Thanks for the update.
Last time I had a well drilled it was on a very bare lot. When I got home that night to a drilled and tested well, I expected to see some erosion from the two hour flow test. Either they hauled the water away or they cheated and did a two minute test.

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #28  
As a matter of fact it was stated that indeed it was not residential.

Totally missed he posted it wasn't residential, didn't even bother to go back and see what was post after I questioned the 3ph.

I stand corrected.

/ Question on 3-phase well pump #29  
Thought I would update the thread if anyone was to view it as a knowledge base.
The particular pump attached on the 3-phase motor would not pump water when the pump ran backward. Did not seem to have any negative impacts but never left the power on for more than 5-10 seconds with the motor running backward before reversing leads. The original installer did not wire the leads color coded correctly which is what I thought was the case.

The motor was a Franklin-Electric
4-Inch Motor Specifications | 4-Inch | Franklin Electric
and was a three phase 460 volt motor despite all the individuals who commented that I could/did not have a 3-phase motor in the well. I will not specify the amount of water that was "wasted" to accomplish this test required by the government but at least the trees in the forest nearby appreciated it.

"I don't mean to be abrupt/rude but the number of posters that responded thinking they knew the facts and never read the posts out numbered the folks that were thoughtful and tried to answer the question without assuming facts not in evidence and conjured out of the ether. "

furu,
Posters #2, and #6 answered your question on the very day you asked it, but you didn't do what they suggested so posters kept trying to figure out your unusual situation, because you didn't follow up with what they suggested trying. Personally, I think everyone including myself was tring to be helpful as best as we could, base on your very limited feedback. I notice you added/changed some of your posts a day later. No need to come back two months later and talk down on those who tried to give friendly free advice.

furu,
Posters #2, and #6 answered your question on the very day you asked it, but you didn't do what they suggested so posters kept trying to figure out your unusual situation, because you didn't follow up with what they suggested trying. Personally, I think everyone including myself was tring to be helpful as best as we could, base on your very limited feedback. I notice you added/changed some of your posts a day later. No need to come back two months later and talk down on those who tried to give friendly free advice.

DarkBlack
As you so adroitly point out posters #2 and #6 answered my question and then I thanked them in post #7 (11 minutes after #6 posted)

You stated that I did not do what they suggested but I did exactly what they suggested. For you to say that I did not follow up with what they suggested trying is incorrect. I don't see what kind of follow up you wanted. I thanked them and used their information when I was able to run the test.

As to your comment about changing my posts a day later. I did correct typos the same day as the posts and the longest delay in that editing of typos was well less than a day (10 hours and 45 minutes) when I noticed that the app on the not so smart phone caused typos by trying to help me spell. I guess it is not allowed to correct typos.

My question was straight forward and I got some excellent answers and I thank those that responded.

I did a follow up posting yesterday as many times I have done searches and have seen open ended topics that never have closure to the topic. I have seen people posts that they wondered what happened because they never see the final outcome. I decided to post a closing note so that if anyone did a search and wondered how it came out there would be an answer.

I could go through and thank each poster that was helpful but they already know that I appreciate their answers. I am sorry that you have been offended.