Oil & Fuel question on diesel engine

/ question on diesel engine #1  

snapper

Bronze Member
I was looking at a 1310 ford the other day, and noticed something I couldn't figure out.. When I can't figure out something, it drives me crazy.. So maybe you all can educate me.. There was a big line coming off of the side of the transmission, it ran up to the engine on the same side as the injector lines and stuff.. Then a small line went to a box thing then one went to the same spot as the big line. Looks like maybe a banjo fitting?? there is a bolt running through them. and one went towards where the lift valve and components would be.. Any ideas what I am describing?? I am thinking maybe hydraulic pump?? but am not sure.. And also what components make up the fuel delivery system? I know a pump brings it to the engine, then is there a charge pump?? or what?? then what controls when fuel enters the cylinder??

thanks for the help.. Snapper

/ question on diesel engine #2  
Definitely sounds like a hydraulic pump from what you describe. The diesel system is built around a fuel injection pump. Find an injector and follow it's fuel line backwards and you'll see the injection pump. They are gear driven off the engine and are timed like a distributor on a gas engine. The pump controls the timing and amount of fuel injected into the cylinder. When you adjust the throttle on a diesel you are adjusting the fuel flow, not a butterfly in the air intake. In fact, diesels don't have a butterfly which is why they produce no intake vacuum /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ question on diesel engine #3  
I have a Ford 1700 and what you described is the hydrolic system. The large line is the line that carries the fluid from the sump through the filter up to the pump. The small line is the high pressure line from the pump through the control valves and to the lift cylinder for the 3ph.

/ question on diesel engine #4  
Snapper The Hyd pump is usely mounted to the fuel pump, or by it.
A deisel engine works by makeing a lot of compression. This compresssion makes heat. At the proper time the injector sprayes fuel into the hot combustion chamber. When the fuel is under compression and hot it will explode. This is why deisel engines run better when hot and are hard to start cold.
TOOLS