question on hours and pricing

/ question on hours and pricing #11  
Tractor hours can vary significantly depending on what you do. I spent approx. 600 hrs on mine last year working on my new property. I looked at the record and the tractor was used about 180 days averaging 3+ hrs per day. This year I expect usage to be between 200 to 300 hrs. (34 hrs/2 months so far).

/ question on hours and pricing #12  
My 4600 has been averaging 600 hours a year. Put 700 hours on the 4020 last year and about 500 in half a year on the 4430. If we only had one tractor we'd probably put about 2000 or more hours a year on one. Just doing chores we average 2-5 hours a day on one. That's not even counting planting, haying, harvesting, etc. In the spring and fall we will put 80 hours on a tractor in a week or less. We're running 16-20 hours a day at times on them. During haying you'll put 20-30 hours straight on one. At home we farm over 5000 acres and they will run the tractors 24/7 to get crops in and crops out. Guys will run in 12 hour shifts. They never sit except to get serviced. Same with haying season. When you have the weather and you have that much ground to put in you get every minute in that you can.

/ question on hours and pricing
Thanks for the input. Since it's compact tractors we have been looking at I did not really expect the useage on one that a commercially used or big farm tractor would have. Right now I am looking at four different ones and wishing we could just go new. I have really been looking at the new Kioti tractors. I don't think a new one will fit in the budget. A used one is enough to make you ill.

Machinery Link offers pricing giudelines based on model, year and use. That is why I wondered about the hours. It does affect the price. I also would like to trade the lawn "tractor" (HATE IT!! JD 300 Series) I don't know how to talk to the sales rep on it. We have dealt with him before and I question the last "deal" he gave us. I do think it still makes a difference as to your gender with some people and since I do most of the dickering, knowledge is power.

The four we are looking at range from the mid 80's to about 91. All are 4wd and have FEL. They range in size from about 20 HP to the JD 955 which is about 27 hp. The hours useage varies greatly among them. I think they are all gas ecept for the JD and one is hydrostatic (JD). I wish they were diesel. I would give some teeth for a tractor, I do not want to do fencing or firewood w/o one. We took a bath on a tractor we bought several years ago but, that is another post on another website. I just do NOT want to go there again!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ question on hours and pricing #14  
Tabby,
Welcome to the forum and I feel your pain as you search for a used tractor. It is tough to find good low hour ones, as you are finding. For the most part the compacts are so reliable that people don't tend to trade until their needs change. If it is any help, I average about 150 hrs per year on my tractor.

I am not sure how others feel but I have had a gas and diesel tractor and feel the diesel has been less maintenance per hour of use. If it were me I would narrow my search to diesel powered compacts. These little diesels will run with for several thousand hours before major repair work is required as long as the normal maintenance is done. That being said, a neighbor of mine has a Ford gas tractor that was new in 1954 and is still running strong.

MarkV

/ question on hours and pricing #15  
Tabby
What area of the US are you located in. The Northeast has higher prices on used compacts than the midwest for example

You may want to even hire a tractor mechanic to look over a used tractor for you,sort of like a home inspector
Anyhow keep us posted and we will try to help out

I have purchased two used tractors over the last few years a 70 HP with 3500 hours and a 25 HP 4WD FEL with 1400 hours
They both needed a few minor repairs but I havehad very good luck with both of my mid 80's tractors
Good luck

Bartman