question on thermodynamics I guess.

/ question on thermodynamics I guess.
Hello All, I've looked at the suggestions, some I'd read about before.

Some are cutting edge but I think too technical for me. I've always liked the stirling engines and thought the gamma the best as its displacer piston is less demanding. (to seal). But it seems to need a high pressuer to realize its potential.

The T.E.G's might be too small to utilize the heat I have available at the smaller size anyway and bigger would be cost prohibitive for me.

I'm thinking still use a monoflow boiler and supply steam to a 2 stroke engine converted to a uniflow steam engine.

There are many examples of these on u tube but none of the makers have answered questions put to them about lubrication and life span. I suspect this is their weakness. I'd like to know for sure if anyone can advise.

Pooh bear, I tried to make one of these (thermocouple) 55 years ago when I was 15.
You would laugh at what I did. One strand of copper, one of lead, one match and a torch bulb. LOL . Of course it didn't work.

Yes EGON winter was on July 2 and 3 here this year and I had to put a shirt on.

Regards to all

Vince Smith.

/ question on thermodynamics I guess. #13  
Have you considered a Newcomen type engine:

Thomas Newcomen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uses partial vacuum rather than high pressure steam. If you hitch the output chain to a suitable flywheel via a crank you could drive a dynamo. It's not terribly efficient, but it is seductively simple. Wax up your slide rule, dust off your steam tables, it's time to start calculating your enthalpy.

-Jim

Hello BDH. The tinderbox looks too small and works best with a heat gradient
and here in the tropics thats not going to be very large.Thanks though.

Hello Jim. Yes I find the newcomen very interesting for its safety and low pressure. Its not quite as simple if you use a second chamber for condensation to reduce the hot/cold change issues .

Thats why I'm leaning towards the uniflow engine made from an old 2 stroke engine. I should get an old mower motor for next to nothing, so I will not have much to loose.

Sorry in post 11 I called the monotube boiler a monoflow boiler which was misleading.

Boy oh boy its hot here today, You could fry an egg on a shovel and its not summer yet.

Regards Vince Smith.

/ question on thermodynamics I guess. #15  
Could be interesting to design the steam system.

Suggest two coils, one for primary heating and exiting into a smaller coil via a nozzle and drain system. This might condense some of the wet steam allowing the second coil to heat the existing steam to a higher energy value. The secondary coil should be in the hottest heat zone.

Then its on to the prime mover, out to a condensor and into a reheater before becoming feed water again. Add make up water at the condensor as it will be venting a certain amount of wator vapour.

Dream stuff for me.:eek:

Are you familiar with Cylesstic type oils ??

Thanks for that Egon, I had not heard of the "cylesstic oils" but after some research I now feel better equiped to try my ideas. This is exactly the information I was needing.I came across a well written piece by a Harry Wade.

Regards Vince Smith.

/ question on thermodynamics I guess. #17  
Here is an interesting discussion:
Convert gas engine to steam??

The biggest reason for a condensor is to achieve an exhaust pressure far below atmospheric pressure for improved efficiency. A small air ejector (steam powered venturi) prevents the buildup of non-condensing gas. I can't really envision a backyard system operating in a closed loop.

/ question on thermodynamics I guess. #18  
I had not heard of the "cylesstic oils"/QUOTE]

After using them they will be forever remebered and probably retained on whatever they touch!:)