Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #11  
First off, thanks everyone for the fast reply.
Jeff, what would constitute storage? I'll be using the BX at least every two to three days I imagine.
Also, lowering the ballast box doesn't get it to the floor so I'd have to lower it onto cinder blocks.
That or take the sand bags out each time I'm done with it for the day.

Does anyone see an issue with lowering it on to cinderblocks when not in use?

Drew

If the ballast box doesn't touch the ground when fully down, that's fine. It still takes the strain off the hydraulics.
Setting it on cinder blocks is also fine. You are not detaching it so no problem with it falling on your foot.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #12  
Does the ballast box have more than one set of mounting holes for the cat-1 pins? If it does, try moving them up to a higher set of holes. This may allow the ballast box to rest on the ground. It should also allow you to keep the weight as low as possible which is a good thing.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch
Just one set of mounting holes.
At complete rest it sits about 6 inches off the ground, maybe a little less.
I've been setting the box on a sturdy pile of iron wood square posts (the ones that they separate 18 wheeler frames with on the back of, well, an 18 wheeler. :)

They'll support the weight no problem. When I cut them with the chainsaw sparks come off them.

I also always but the bucket into 'float' position when I leave it for the day.
I'm assuming that's a good practice.
(Again, if you cant tell, this is my first real tractor and I want it to last)

Drew

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #14  
How much weight can I safely put in without damaging the 3 point hitch?

And should I take it off when I'm not using it?
(I could put some blocks under the box and lower it when not in use)
Drew

Similar to Jeff, internet (TractorData.com Kubota BX238 tractor information) say's a BX2380 can lift 680lbs. It's important to remember that this is for a load where the center of mass is 24" from the 3 PTH connection pins. This load farther away from tractor has more "leverage" (to reduce front axle load), but would require more 3PTH lift capacity. With the load closer, the 3PTH could lift more weight, but weight in that position has less of a leveraging effect to take weight off of front axle.

Releasing pressure from the hydraulic system, including 3PTH lift arms, when you turn tractor off is good practice. Both as a safety point (you don't want 3PTH attachments and FEL buckets in the air that can come crashing down on somebody if someone else (kids, pets, etc..) inadvertently hits the lever or a hydraulic hose fails); and it's probably just better if seals aren't under constant pressure for long periods of time (through heat/cool cycles).
I always jiggle (or put into "float" position) the FEL and hydraulic controls at end of day to release pressure and lower 3 PTH. NEVER trust "just hydraulics" to hold something up that you might get under.

If 3PTH is lowered to minimum position and ballast box is still off floor I don't see what is wrong about that as it can't fall farther and there's no pressure.
Maybe others can give a valid reason why blocks are needed.
.....but I'd still use blocks and I don't know why. Other than you can disconnect attachment without starting tractor and it gets metal box off of concrete or dirt.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #15  
First off, thanks everyone for the fast reply.
Jeff, what would constitute storage? I'll be using the BX at least every two to three days I imagine.
Also, lowering the ballast box doesn't get it to the floor so I'd have to lower it onto cinder blocks.
That or take the sand bags out each time I'm done with it for the day.

Does anyone see an issue with lowering it on to cinderblocks when not in use?

Drew

I lower mine on two cinder blocks when I leave it own for use again in a couple of days. Just don't forget to remove the cinder blocks. Don't ask why I am reminding you of that.

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #16  
Similar to Jeff, internet (TractorData.com Kubota BX238 tractor information) say's a BX2380 can lift 680lbs. It's important to remember that this is for a load where the center of mass is 24" from the 3 PTH connection pins. This load farther away from tractor has more "leverage" (to reduce front axle load), but would require more 3PTH lift capacity. With the load closer, the 3PTH could lift more weight, but weight in that position has less of a leveraging effect to take weight off of front axle.

Releasing pressure from the hydraulic system, including 3PTH lift arms, when you turn tractor off is good practice. Both as a safety point (you don't want 3PTH attachments and FEL buckets in the air that can come crashing down on somebody if someone else (kids, pets, etc..) inadvertently hits the lever or a hydraulic hose fails); and it's probably just better if seals aren't under constant pressure for long periods of time (through heat/cool cycles).
I always jiggle (or put into "float" position) the FEL and hydraulic controls at end of day to release pressure and lower 3 PTH. NEVER trust "just hydraulics" to hold something up that you might get under.

If 3PTH is lowered to minimum position and ballast box is still off floor I don't see what is wrong about that as it can't fall farther and there's no pressure.
Maybe others can give a valid reason why blocks are needed.
.....but I'd still use blocks and I don't know why. Other than you can disconnect attachment without starting tractor and it gets metal box off of concrete or dirt.

I lower my ballast box on to two cinder blocks to remove stress from hydraulic cylinders and other tractor components. My motto with equipment is, "Better safe than sorry".

/ Questions about BX2380 3 point hitch #17  
What are you using for snow removal? Loader, Blade, Snow blower?

To much weight behind the rear axel could be counter productive to front traction, and steering unless your using a loader.