Questions about grain drills....

/ Questions about grain drills.... #21  
Aaron, go back and read the first post. That drill hasn't cost me a penny (yet)!! It was given to me by some neighbors who live close by to my folks. :)

Very nice grain drill!!

I really like old farming equipment...Both drills are nice!

I wonder how much it cost when it was new??

Thanks for the pictures:D

/ Questions about grain drills.... #22  
I have just retired and want to do more with my 10 acres ( 26 chickens, 2 feeder pigs, large garden). I opened an area of pasture to grow some pig food (mangles, sugar beets, field corn, and/or wheat, buckwheat, soy beans).

I planted my sample crops to see which do best in my alkaline/clay soil. I used the Gardenway walk behind seeder with seed disks that I use for my kitchen garden. This worked very poorly. The rougher ground did not allow the proper spacing and setting of seed. Can I use a small seed drill on my Ford 601 tractor to do corn, soy beans, mangels, beets, alfalfa, wheat? How versatile is a seed drill? Will it do all these seed types? Plant corn 3" deep?

If not a seed drill, what can I do to plant various field crops?

I have not lived on a farm and my knowledge of farming is from reading a few books and articles (not enough to do things correctly).

I appreciate your help.

Is it good manors to add this to this thread? Or should I have started a new one?

Doug

/ Questions about grain drills.... #23  
Saw a 8-9 ft similar model go at the farm auction about 7 months ago for about $800. Looked just like that except it had all of the covering chains. You will love a drill for most of the soil here in SC.

/ Questions about grain drills.... #24  
Flusher---your MM Grain drill looks awesome! I am searching for a part or related parts to repair one here in Ellsworth WI. . . my neighbor and I have shared it for many years now....it is used each Spring. However a wheel brace/bracket which is cast is broken on one side. the axels is slightly bent. We believe we might be able to correct that bend. But would love to find a bracket/brace. . just inside the wheel at the frame and axel. Any suggestion where I might get lucky to find one? james@jeanacres.com P. 612-685-5139