Questions about welding on tractor??

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #11  
Brian,
My welding manual warns against grounding across a bearing, but I don't recall any mention of potential battery danger. With the ground close to the welding site, I've done plenty of welding on the FEL bucket and tractor frame to place brackets. Never had a problem, and never thought about the battery 'til you brought it up. Maybe I should be disconnecting.

OkieG

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #12  
Gary,
Seems like most the batteries I've bought the past few years are "sealed". Can't add water or open 'em up. I never really thought about it, but do they still vent gas?

I've heard of batteries exploding from overcharging, or trying to charge them in extreme cold (frozen electrolyte??), but know very little about battery explosion potential. Do batteries vent enough gas to ignite? Do batteries really explode from vented gas igniting? And does disconnecting a battery cable prevent it?

Sorry, if these are stupid questions, but it sounds like you know more about this topic than I do....(I mean the battery gas topic, not stupid questions. Stupid questions are my forte). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OkieG

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #13  
Yes the typical lead acid battery can explode. They produce hydrogen which is combustible. This is why there is a proper procedure to follow when attaching booster cables to a battery.

Egon

/ Questions about welding on tractor??
<font color="blue">( Do batteries vent enough gas to ignite? )</font>

They can, especially when overcharged. The danger lies in a gassing battery in an enclosed space. Communications sites, typically small enclosed buildings with backup battery banks, sometimes use venting manifolds ducted to the outside to prevent a dangerous build up of hydrogen. The cell caps are connected to the manifold, preventing the battery from venting to the inside of the structure.

The concerns about a welding spark setting off a tractor battery seem kind of remote. Sparks near batteries are common occurrences in all kinds of vehicles. Starter motors generate sparks, for example. Gasoline powered boats with inboard engines require special starting procedures to vent any gasoline fumes from the bilge before starting, otherwise there is a fair chance of it raining boat parts--right after the loud noise and bright light. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But they don't worry about the battery blowing up.

Unless the weldor is welding near the battery or battery wiring, I don't see why it should be a concern, but I will probably still remove the battery if I ever weld directly on my machine. It can't hurt.

SnowRidge

/ Questions about welding on tractor??
Thanks guys for all your input /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I think i'll just remove the loader, as I have to do the 50 hour service anyways and it will make it a lot easier. Thanks again!

Brian

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #16  
<font color="blue"> Unhooking the battery is like using your seat belt </font>

WOW! You mean if I don't unhook my battery the police can ticket me for it?

Sorry, I couldn't resist... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You mean if I don't unhook my battery the police can ticket me for it? )</font>

Nope, but the penalty may be a lot more severe than what the police can do. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #18  
<font color="blue"> the penalty may be a lot more severe than what the police can do </font>

Good point. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #19  
What about just removing the bucket instead of the whole loader?

/ Questions about welding on tractor?? #20  
Just remove the loader and place the grounding clamp as close to the welding area as possible. You'll be fine.