Buying Advice Questions on 2440 JD

/ Questions on 2440 JD #1  

Trophyduck

Tractor
LS XR4145 (45hp HST)
Advice on a old 2440...
I'm in the market for a tractor, having just bought a place on 50 acres.
I got word of a 1981 JD 60 hp tractor, no loader or attachments (I didn't verify model # yet) It only has 1200 hours which I know is really good......Being so old, is it something to avoid? Are parts readily available? Being 2wd, is 4wd really needed? (In Maryland's Eastern shore...flat land) I will be keeping woods roads cleared and bush-hogging mostly...doing some food plot planting
I'm new to all this and leery of a 35+ yr old tractor even if it is in great shape. Or is this something that runs "forever".....

I was originally looking for something in the 40hp range with 4wd

Thanks for your help

/ Questions on 2440 JD #2  
Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Easton and St Michaels so I know the area well. Definitely flat land. I see no reason why you'd need 4wd in your area. However, I'd definitely recommend getting a tractor with a loader.

Old tractors can be perfectly good options if you're willing to work on them. If you have very limited free time it might be better to get something newer that will start every time. I have a 1952 Ford 8N and spent all last weekend trying to fix it. If that's not for you then get a new one.

For 50 acres I'd definitely recommend not getting a tractor with less than about 45hp. You'll want enough size and weight to handle 6ft implements. Larger tractors get things done faster, and with 50 aces you'll be needing to get stuff done.

What kind of work will you need to do? Bush hogging? Haying? Animals?