Flail Mower Questions on Flail Mowers

/ Questions on Flail Mowers
Informative post Charlie, thanks. The component number on this one is 22-124 making the manufacture date 64-72 per your post. The serial number is 1344 so I'm assuming closer to the year 64 build. Seller has painted the unit and is asking $425. I was going to offer in the $300 range for it. Don't suppose you have tried to use a dethatching blade on it.

Replied to Charlie before reading your post Leon. Looks like I will be making an offer.

/ Questions on Flail Mowers #13  
Informative post Charlie, thanks. The component number on this one is 22-124 making the manufacture date 64-72 per your post. The serial number is 1344 so I'm assuming closer to the year 64 build. Seller has painted the unit and is asking $425. I was going to offer in the $300 range for it. Don't suppose you have tried to use a dethatching blade on it.
I've never used the dethatching blades on mine, as i mow pastures mainly. Its quite possible than an FNH dealer can look up the serial number and give you an approximate mfg date, but you're probably close in that it was an earlier year, model run build.
If its in good shape and field ready i'd say the 3 to 4 hundred range would be a decent buy, if it appears to need a few repairs figure that in you're offered price.
You'll spend about $100 for a set of finish cut knives from flailmaster, if it needs any bearings, well, as i mentioned this year i replaced the bearings in the roller on mine, and that was a quick $50+ down the tubes. Bearings on the cutter drum will probably run at least double that.
One thing worthy of mention, when you grease the bearings, there is a zerk for the left side cutter drum, down behind the driven pully, between the pully and mower frame thats kind of hard to see, with a little grease, grass clippings and so on its easy to miss.

I'll keep all advice in mind when I make the offer.

Thanks,
Bud