Questions on MX machines

/ Questions on MX machines #31  
Not meaning to argue, just for the sake of arguing . BUT, my non Turbo Diesels run just FINE. Why do I want the mindset, to buy something EXTRA, when what I have is not presenting a shortcoming in any way evident to me.

Something I did just think of which may have no bearing on the discussion. It's interesting for me to realize that my two turbo Diesels, my GMC and JD 6200, have atrocious fuel economy! All my non turbo Diesels Sip their fuel sparingly.

Maybe if I ran two similar machines in a business, one turbo, one not, the performance and fuel economy of one over the other may become more apparent. I couldn't even imagine a highway tractor without turbo, makes sense in that application for sure.

/ Questions on MX machines #32  
Dont listen to the people telling you its too much cutter.

I run a woods DS96 behind a MX5100. Its a great match.

And with HST.....you can go as infinitely slow as conditions warrant.

I imagine what you want to cut is similar to my "regulars" that I mow 2-3 times a year. Mixes of grass, weeds, clover, thistle, etc. And I have NO problems or lack of power and can easily maintain 6-7 MPH (max speed in medium range)

The DS96 is a 1620# cutter. And thats ALL you would want on the 3PH IF YOU HAVE NO LOADER ON. There are some lighter 8' mowers out there that would also work.

But for what you describe, I wouldnt have a moments hesitation getting a 10' twin PULL TYPE and pulling around that field. Its not like you are asking about cutting brush and briars over your head, and 10 year untouched CRP ground. And ESPECIALLY if you go with the MX5800 which packs a few more ponies than my 5100.

Who cares is you have to slow down? Pulling a 10' cutter 4 MPH is the same as pulling a 5' cutter at 8 MPH. One is gonna beat the snot out of you and leave poor cut quality. The other is gonna offer a smoother relaxing ride and better cut.

The "old school" way of thinking was with old gear tractors and limited gear selection. Where it was entirely possible to "run out of power". Which that term can also be worded as "cannot go slow enough for the power I have".

With HST transmission.....that is no longer an issue. Get as BIG of a mower as you can....and enjoy the smooth slow ride. I have mowed thousands of acres of all types of stuff with a L3400 and a 6' mower that everyone always claims is too much for that tractor. I upgraded and have also mowed thousands of acres with a MX and 8'. A 6' mower behind a MX is just crazy if you want to be productive

/ Questions on MX machines #33  
We ran a liliston 10 foot three spindle, pull type brush mower on a 42 pto hp tractor without issue.

/ Questions on MX machines #34  
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I did talk with a buddy who said with what I'm wanting to do and cut that a 58 hp tractor with an 8' cutter will be fine. He cuts landfills with a 120 hp New Holland and Bush Hog 4815 batwing mower. He does use an 8' cutter to trim around the well heads. So worse case I can try one out in the off season (he cuts the landfills twice a year).

More than likely I will stay with my current cutter for awhile and look for a slightly used model. Do these tractors pressurize the fuel like current diesel trucks? Think I need to do some more research on diesels/turbos, because I think the only thing I know about a turbo is what I hear and how to spell turbo.

So a MX is what I'm going with mainly due to it being the largest tractor I can get with an HST. The mower will be the biggest hp challenge. I'm excited, just need to look at the numbers on which MX to buy and learn about turbos and reliability. In reality it would be the MX4800 or MX5800. Yes I will fill the tires and probably use rear weights as well (wheels set to widest due to Ozark terrain). I have a friend with 30 acres that wants my L2501 (he currently has an old Ford gas tractor). Need to build a barn at the land, because the bigger tractor can't fit at home anymore. Going to grade out an area this weekend with the L2501 (filled tires and EA Extreme Box Blade 78 inch). I've already graded out one area, but the wife wanted it moved a bit, lol.

You guys have been great, the varied real world feedback is what makes this place good IMHO.

Be advised that the MX5800 is rated at 50.2 PTO HP, not 58.

That is a significant difference and easily noticeable.

SDT

/ Questions on MX machines
LD1 your woods cutter sounds like the tank that my smaller LP 2660 is as it weighs around 1100# and for my L2501 is significant, but I do have a loader on. I have cut brush and briars taller than my head, LOL. I've done most of the clean up now just want to maintain, but will get a heavy duty cutter for durability.

SDT, not sure if I told him the tractor hp or pto hp, either way he gave me a great option to try the 8' that he has before I ever buy one. I could let my grass grow, cut it during the heat of the summer at its highest, which would be between his 2 landfill cuttings.

Dumb question, does a non-turbo tractor have a ECU (computer)? If it does not, that would mean a turbo tractor has the turbo, hp fuel pump and ECU?

/ Questions on MX machines #36  
Dont listen to the people telling you its too much cutter.

I run a woods DS96 behind a MX5100. Its a great match.

And with HST.....you can go as infinitely slow as conditions warrant.

I imagine what you want to cut is similar to my "regulars" that I mow 2-3 times a year. Mixes of grass, weeds, clover, thistle, etc. And I have NO problems or lack of power and can easily maintain 6-7 MPH (max speed in medium range)

The DS96 is a 1620# cutter. And thats ALL you would want on the 3PH IF YOU HAVE NO LOADER ON. There are some lighter 8' mowers out there that would also work.

But for what you describe, I wouldnt have a moments hesitation getting a 10' twin PULL TYPE and pulling around that field. Its not like you are asking about cutting brush and briars over your head, and 10 year untouched CRP ground. And ESPECIALLY if you go with the MX5800 which packs a few more ponies than my 5100.

Who cares is you have to slow down? Pulling a 10' cutter 4 MPH is the same as pulling a 5' cutter at 8 MPH. One is gonna beat the snot out of you and leave poor cut quality. The other is gonna offer a smoother relaxing ride and better cut.

The "old school" way of thinking was with old gear tractors and limited gear selection. Where it was entirely possible to "run out of power". Which that term can also be worded as "cannot go slow enough for the power I have".

With HST transmission.....that is no longer an issue. Get as BIG of a mower as you can....and enjoy the smooth slow ride. I have mowed thousands of acres of all types of stuff with a L3400 and a 6' mower that everyone always claims is too much for that tractor. I upgraded and have also mowed thousands of acres with a MX and 8'. A 6' mower behind a MX is just crazy if you want to be productive

How close are you cutting?

Few mowers will mow well in even moderate cover at 7 MPH, regardless of HP. Even fewer when cutting close.

I keep all of my rough cut mowers adjusted such the skid rails are about 1" from dragging on level ground. I also keep the blades sharp like a lawn mower (cuts much better, uses less fuel, and requires less power). None of my mowers will cut well in even moderate cover at 7 MPH. Evidence of poor cut quality starts to show up below 6 MPH, even though all are high quality Woods mowers with plenty of grass clearance.

Depending upon cover, I usually run out of cut quality before HP but heavy cover will cause the stall guard (if on) on my 53 PTO HP L6060 to reduce ground speed to 0 at times. 5 or even 3 MPH is a pipe dream in such situations, with a good, sharp 6' cutter.

Cutting at 4"-5" requires much less HP.

SDT

/ Questions on MX machines #37  
LD1 your woods cutter sounds like the tank that my smaller LP 2660 is as it weighs around 1100# and for my L2501 is significant, but I do have a loader on. I have cut brush and briars taller than my head, LOL. I've done most of the clean up now just want to maintain, but will get a heavy duty cutter for durability.

SDT, not sure if I told him the tractor hp or pto hp, either way he gave me a great option to try the 8' that he has before I ever buy one. I could let my grass grow, cut it during the heat of the summer at its highest, which would be between his 2 landfill cuttings.

Dumb question, does a non-turbo tractor have a ECU (computer)? If it does not, that would mean a turbo tractor has the turbo, hp fuel pump and ECU?

I expect you will find that just about all new tractors have a computer for some purposes, certainly all common rail injected engines and any Tier whatever engines must have an ECU.

It's not the turbo, it's the federales.

SDT

/ Questions on MX machines #38  
How close are you cutting?

Few mowers will mow well in even moderate cover at 7 MPH, regardless of HP. Even fewer when cutting close.

I keep all of my rough cut mowers adjusted such the skid rails are about 1" from dragging on level ground. I also keep the blades sharp like a lawn mower (cuts much better, uses less fuel, and requires less power). None of my mowers will cut well in even moderate cover at 7 MPH. Evidence of poor cut quality starts to show up below 6 MPH, even though all are high quality Woods mowers with plenty of grass clearance.

Depending upon cover, I usually run out of cut quality before HP but heavy cover will cause the stall guard (if on) on my 53 PTO HP L6060 to reduce ground speed to 0 at times. 5 or even 3 MPH is a pipe dream in such situations, with a good, sharp 6' cutter.

Cutting at 4"-5" requires much less HP.

SDT

How close I cut depends on the condition and what kind of quality I can achieve.

My regulars....I cut maybe 5-6" measured off concrete floor. Which puts the side skids maybe 2" up.

/ Questions on MX machines #39  
This kind of stuff I can regularly mow at 5-6 MPH with ease
IMG_20160828_075106869-1600x900.jpg

And this is basically a yard that got mowed monthly. (13 acre yard). Just too heavy for a ZTR, But extremely light for a rotary cutter. IT was ~12" tall stuff, cutting down to ~5". This was WOT, pedal to the floor, M range. Couldnt ask for a better cut...
renschville elem.jpg

/ Questions on MX machines #40  
Just some of the regular stuff. All mowed ~7MPH

IMG_20160704_105044761.jpg
IMG_20190601_065647926_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180615_100149422.jpg
IMG_20180529_061441064.jpg

This is where I start to slow a but for quality. This was ~5mph
IMG_20180625_083623714_HDR.jpg