Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #1  

cmuncy

Silver Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 300DTC
I have a 30x50x12 steel Mueller building with a 10x12 opening and a walk through door both on one end.

I am in the process of wiring it for electrical and the next step is finishing off some of the walls for a work bench/tool storage and eventually a conditioned space office across the back end.

It seems that for the front part I can fabricate walls on teh ground then slide them up behind the lip on the perlins and secure them to the concrete on the bottom and perlin on the top.

For the back half of the shop, I have the tension wire that extends beyond the perlins so I'd have to make a wall that protrudes further out, thus loosing some floor space.

Does anyone have a good references or pictures of how I might most effectively build these walls?

I'm thinking 1/2" OSB layed horizontally with the remaining top 4+ feet with peg board and probably foam board against the metal skin.

Across the back 30', and 10' out, I plan on building a conditioned work space for my electronics and reloading as well as a small full bathroom.

Thanks guys.

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #2  
I am interested in replys to this thread. I am having a 28x36 metal building constructed in about 3 weeks. The uprights are metal, and the company I am buying from recommends screwing horizontal 2x4's onto the metal posts as nailers, and then finishing in a standard manner (sheetrock, paneling, whatever).

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #3  
Have you thought about liner pannel? You would have to add a inside base angle and then just screw it to the gerts, just like the outside pannels. At the brace cables slide the pannels behind them.

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #4  
We had a metal building built lat year for a horse barn. Needless to say, I did not want any chance of horse/bracing wire interaction.

I had a pad poured with L-bolts along the wall with the bracing. I then framed a wall to enclose the bracing. I bolted the wall to the L-bolts and built a bunch of straps out of 1x1 inch galv angle (I had a bunch left over from the material pack) I tied the wall to the perlins in the middle and at the top every so often with the angle ties.

It passed inspection and kept one end of each brace wire exposed should I need to adjust tension.

I have some pictures but they are to large to post on this site. I can email them or resize them later- I have to leave now.

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building
I'd sure like to see those pics.

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #6  
Becareful with metal buildings. Before I had mine built with block, I considered metal and I thought any dummy with a cordless tool can remove panels and get in, not for me.
Jim
:)

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #7  
Well, here goes. We'll see if my photos are here.

Framing
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4855/size/big/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Wall Tie; the tie for the standoff wall is longer so the brace is behind the wall. I don't have a picture of that tie. I tied every other stud at both girts.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4856/size/big/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Top of wall and girt
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4857/size/big/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Finished wall
http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/4854/size/big/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

I hope this helps. If I had it to do over I would have sized the height of the wall to tie into the underside of the top plates instead of the studs. It is pretty solid, though.

Oh, and Mr. Jimi, the barn has 3 dutch doors and 2 overhead doors that will be open much of the time for ventilation so it isn't a very secure building anyway. I saw your Reveille video. Quite touching.

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #8  
bota7800 said:
Oh, and Mr. Jimi, the barn has 3 dutch doors and 2 overhead doors that will be open much of the time for ventilation so it isn't a very secure building anyway. I saw your Reveille video. Quite touching.

Thanks, I wish more people would watch it
Jim
:)

/ Questions/References on Finishing Interior Metal Building #9  
Dam dude, you have to give someone fair warning before they watch that. Very nice video indeed. Reminds me of my grandfather, up until he died he would have his flag out. people who were never in the service may not get it.