Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #1  

Bullwinkle123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400HST, Z724XKW-3-54
I was searching machinefinder.com yesterday for some 'L' class Kubotas and some 3-series Deeres, focusing mostly on 30-45 HP tractors. The listings were most of the US and Canada, I wasn't looking in my local region, I was just trying to get a sense of what the prices were for tractors and packages as I prepare to buy my own (and first - so I'm a noob).

It struck me that there were literally ten times as many JD tractors listed as Kubotas (300+ compared to ~30), and that the Kubotas listed were all quite a bit more heavily used and/or older machines. Many of the Deere's were new-ish, even advertised as new.

Since I am unfamiliar with the site I wanted to know:
  • Is it somehow affiliated with John Deere?
  • Is it just that JD is a far more prevalent brand than Kubota in the US?
  • Or is it that Kubota owners retain their machines longer (and so there are fewer resales)?

Just curious about this lopsidedness. I haven't got numbers for tractorhouse.com to see if they differ.

In my area, I'm about equidistant between a Kubota and Deere dealer. Most of my "gentleman farmer" neighbors have Kubotas. The more "earn a living with their tractor" neighbors are more evenly distributed across brands (with slightly bigger tractors).

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #2  
I have the "impression" that is for JD dealers and I think only can post here. Was in a JD dealership this past Friday and they used that to search their own dealerships for tractor I was asking on. Depending on how Machinefinder is found JD name is with it, never seen any other brand's name in the link. Not aware of a site that really supports Kubota this well. Over the last few weeks had done a lot of search myself between the two brands and also Yanmar for a JD 4066r or Kubota L6060 or Yanmar yt359. I find on the Kubota or yanmar other sites have more listings. I do think Kubota dealers would be served well to have a site as dedicated to them.

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #3  
I was searching machinefinder.com yesterday for some 'L' class Kubotas and some 3-series Deeres, focusing mostly on 30-45 HP tractors. The listings were most of the US and Canada, I wasn't looking in my local region, I was just trying to get a sense of what the prices were for tractors and packages as I prepare to buy my own (and first - so I'm a noob).

It struck me that there were literally ten times as many JD tractors listed as Kubotas (300+ compared to ~30), and that the Kubotas listed were all quite a bit more heavily used and/or older machines. Many of the Deere's were new-ish, even advertised as new.

Since I am unfamiliar with the site I wanted to know:
  • Is it somehow affiliated with John Deere?
  • Is it just that JD is a far more prevalent brand than Kubota in the US?
  • Or is it that Kubota owners retain their machines longer (and so there are fewer resales)?

Just curious about this lopsidedness. I haven't got numbers for tractorhouse.com to see if they differ.

In my area, I'm about equidistant between a Kubota and Deere dealer. Most of my "gentleman farmer" neighbors have Kubotas. The more "earn a living with their tractor" neighbors are more evenly distributed across brands (with slightly bigger tractors).

If you add your area to your profile, it will help others to make more informed responses.

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity
If you add your area to your profile, it will help others to make more informed responses.

My question is more about trends and/or why the numbers are so lopsided, against the national view I was looking at. I didn't understand why there were 10x Deere's compared to Kubotas, and the apparent age/use difference in the advertised tractors. My reference to local stuff at the end of my post was probably a useless distraction, just disregard it, thanks.

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #5  
Go to the home page of Machine Finder and scroll down to the footer. It shows that MF is part of Deere.

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #6  
Being an orange kind of guy, it was tempting to say that Kubota owners can't bear to part with their tractors while JD owners can't wait to get rid of theirs:) I looked at tractorhouse.com a lot when I was shopping for a used tractor last year. If you look at the entire number of tractors without regard to size, there are 10X more JD's than Kubotas.

Keep in mind that until recently Kubota was a manufacturer of Harry Homeowner-sized tractors. I'm 71 and there were antique JD tractors before I was born. I graduated from HS a year before they imported the first L200 to the USA.

I just went there and for under 40 HP it shows 2,583 Kubota and 2,514 John Deere tractors.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/farm-equipment/for-sale/category/1111/tractors-less-than-40-hp

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #7  
Somewhat stale numbers provided by Messick's Tractor indicate:

Kubota has ~~50% market share of the USA compact tractor market.
Deere has ~~20% market share of the USA compact tractor market. (Deere's market share is higher in ag tractors.)

The remaining 30% of the USA compact market is fragmented over 25 to 30 brands, depending on how you define tractor.

Compact tractors weigh up to 4,999 pounds bare tractor weight.
Utility Class tractors commence at 5,000 pounds bare tractor weight.

/ Queston about machinefinder.com and/or brand popularity #9  
I am still doing a lot of searching for new or used compact utility tractor. To me Machinefinder site is the best at pulling what you ask for. However it only pulls what I understand a JD dealer has on their lot. Equipmentfinder and Tractorhouse to me are don't do as good a job of letting you select the options as MF does. However since looking at Kubota and Yanmar along with JD use all three. Still I don't think other dealers use anyone of search engines near as much as JD dealers us MF. Think said in my first post know at least some JD use it for their own search of their own inventory so maybe MF is live for JD dealers.