Quick and cheap retaining wall...

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #11  
Bill -

Someone over in the PT forum mentioned polypavement as a road solution. Their website also shows applications for erosion control, just grade the slope and spray the stuff on. Yours should only take a few gallons of the stuff and that certainly would be far easier to filling and stacking bags.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #12  
Bill,

I'd sink a few pressure treated 6x6 or 8x8 posts in-line with the rear of the building or wherever you want the wall, then stack and lag some 2x6 to the height you need. This will give you a solid, clean and cheap retaining wall. I'd think you could do it all in one day.

The other option I can think of is to use large rock along the edge and backfill.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall...
John - I read those posts with regards to the road/drive. Never thought of it for erosion control... I'll check it out.

Jim - Sounds like a quick and solid idea. It actually reminds me of something I've been seeing in several commercial applications around here. Several fast food places around have retaining walls made by using I beams as posts and then treated wood just drops into the recesses in the I beams. It leaves a very clean look and doesn't require staggering cuts and the use of the "dead" log to keep the wall from bowing over time.

I am having a hard time pictureing one thing. About 22' of the retaining wall would slope from ground level to about 3' below. I can picture the 3' corner having a support post but as I come up the slope each level of the wall would end at various places. Where should support posts be placed to support those ends?

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Charlie - The only RR ties I can find are new ones at HD and Lowes. About 9$ a pop. I've heard you can get recycled/recovered ones cheaper but don't know where or who to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

)</font>

Huh? New treated RR ties are about $80. Family works for the RR. The used beat up ones at the box stores are running $8. If you can find new treated RR ties for $9, rent a semi & fill up....

Never liked wood for retaining dirt. The wood moves, the wood decomposes.....

I'd do a layer or 2 of the nice decorative rock, looks good, is cheap. Done then, don't have to revisit it.

Stacking sacks of concrete is fine, but how do the seams with plastic handle frost & thaw cycles? How long does the plastic last before the sun breaks it up - how bad does it look then? I'd not want to get involved with that product in my climate, but it sounds like it is your choice, so let us know how it works out.

--->Paul

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #15  
"Huh? New treated RR ties are about $80. Family works for the RR. The used beat up ones at the box stores are running $8. If you can find new treated RR ties for $9, rent a semi & fill up...."

I bought several new RR ties a couple of years ago for $10 each. The old used beat up ones were $6.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The only RR ties I can find are new ones at HD and Lowes. About 9$ a pop. I've heard you can get recycled/recovered ones cheaper but don't know where or who to ask )</font>
Try:

Cardinal Tie Company
190 West Waterloo Road
Akron, Ohio
330-773-0325