Quick Connect Fitting Help

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help
Thanks guys. I ordered a swivel eye 1.5" cylinder from surplus center. Specifically this one https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009040710375585&item=9-7258-6&catname=hydraulic It shows a 1" wide swivel eye so I think it'll fit all my implements. (I'm planning to use it for a top cylinder. No plans for a tilt at this time, but if I add one, I'd get it from CCM for sure. I couldn't justify spending almost twice what the SC set up coes to get a CCM top cylinder with DPCVs for a small BX. By the way, do any of the OEM FEL cylinders have DPCV? I don't see them on mine so I'm wondering if they're not necessary for a FEL, why would I need them for a 3PH top cylinder??)

I also picked up male QC's from my local Kubota dealer. They have 1/4 NPT female ends so they should fit right up to 1/4" NPT hoses with male ends, which I also orderd from surplus center along with two of those SAE 6 by 1/4" NPT male 90* swivel fittings. If I ordered everything correctly, it should screw right up and I'll be good to go. My order hasn't shipped yet, so it'll be a few days before I know for sure. I'll post back once I have it all together, hopefully with pic's.

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help #12  
There are 2 reasons for adding the DPCV's to hydraulic top links (or lift links for that matter)...

1) As mentioned in several threads, the checks in the hydraulic top link essentially lock the link in the length you left it, so your "perfect" adjustment of implement angle doesn't drift due to leakage in the valves on the tractor...

2) Less of an issue with most CUT sized implements, but worth considering. On full blown ag tractors, hydraulic top links almost always have the checks to protect the tractor's hydraulic system from pressure spikes. Imaging driving down the road with something like a 6 bottom plow hanging several feet back off of the 3-point hitch. The top link sees tremendous tension just to hold that plow up off the ground. Now imagine hitting a bump or a railroad crossing or something at 20+ mph... The spike in the load on a hydraulic top link generates a pressure spike that without the check valves, is free to travel right into the tractor's hydraulic valves, etc. With very heavy implements, that spike could damage something expensive (like the fancy EH SCV valves used on the big tractors)...

Granted, I've never seen a FEL with the check valves. For reason #1, that makes sense, since the FEL height, etc isn't as much of an "adjustment" you'd care to maintain perfectly. For #2, without doing the math (lazy), I'd guess that the geometry of a FEL, and the fact that the load is typically in the bucket or not much farther forward than a pallet from the end of the boom, the cylinder loading and potential for pressure spikes are much less...

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help #14  
Thanks guys. I ordered a swivel eye 1.5" cylinder from surplus center. Specifically this one https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009040710375585&item=9-7258-6&catname=hydraulic It shows a 1" wide swivel eye so I think it'll fit all my implements. (I'm planning to use it for a top cylinder. No plans for a tilt at this time, but if I add one, I'd get it from CCM for sure. I couldn't justify spending almost twice what the SC set up coes to get a CCM top cylinder with DPCVs for a small BX. By the way, do any of the OEM FEL cylinders have DPCV? I don't see them on mine so I'm wondering if they're not necessary for a FEL, why would I need them for a 3PH top cylinder??)

CHDinCT -- here is what I was talking about with regard to clearances with the swivel eye cylinders from Surplus Center:
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

As you can see, the body of the cylinder is too close to the eye. I have the rod end mounted to the tractor, because the tractor mounting point is too narrow for the body of the cylinder. You can see on both my trailer-mover, and carry-all, that the body of the cylinder is between the metal of the implements. I can not tilt any implements (side to side) because of this.

If you don't need to tilt, then you'll be OK. As you can see, I am using it with my carry-all to use it to move pallets of firewood.

Regards,
Jay

CHDinCT -- here is what I was talking about with regard to clearances with the swivel eye cylinders from Surplus Center:
IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

As you can see, the body of the cylinder is too close to the eye. I have the rod end mounted to the tractor, because the tractor mounting point is too narrow for the body of the cylinder. You can see on both my trailer-mover, and carry-all, that the body of the cylinder is between the metal of the implements. I can not tilt any implements (side to side) because of this.

If you don't need to tilt, then you'll be OK. As you can see, I am using it with my carry-all to use it to move pallets of firewood.

Regards,
Jay

Jay, your pic's did not post. You do have me somewhat concerned, but from your earlier post, it looks like you bought a larger cylinder with larger swivel eyes so I'm hoping I don't have the same issue. My main use will be for changing the front to back angle of my rake and back blade. I don't do a lot of side to side tilting, other than to keep the implement horizontal to the ground when lowered. If you could repost the pic's, I'd appreciate it. My cylinder has shipped so the die is cast for now, but I'll check all clearances before putting oil in it just in case I need to send it back.

I do wonder why SC doesn't offer swivel eye cylinders with a little more space between the swivel and the cylinder body on the fixed side. They're all welded right to the body which is not ideal for a TNT set up.

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help #16  
Chris,
I can see his pics just fine.
He's showing how he had to reverse the cylinder cause the eye is to close to the cylinder, mine is extended a little, but I guess just enough.

JB.

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help #17  
From what I see, you have enough room if you add some spacers or washers to center of the swivel eye. You could also re-drill the hole, or make an adapter to the implement and or tractor.

If your implement is your main concern, cut off the tabs on top and weld some more tabs on the outside of existing frame. On the tractor side, cut some 3/8 plate and drill out 2 sets of holes, and bolt the tabs on the outside of the tractor tabs, and then install your cylinder in the correct position.

Last edited:
   / Quick Connect Fitting Help #18  
The picture with the carry-all (yellow) shows how close the cylinder body it on each side to the top-link attachment point. If I tilt the implement, I can't tilt very far at all until the cylinder body binds against the attachment point.

BTW, the cylinder is a 1.5" dia. cylinder as you have ordered, just longer.

J.

Well I see your pic's now. Not sure what happened earlier today. I just looked at my rake and back blade and the top link mounting points don't have the long tabs that your carry-all has, but if I can get the fixed side of the cylinder to mount to the tractor top link bracket, the implement side won't be an issue. If I measured right, the cylinder itself should clear the mounting tabs on the tractor, but we'll see soon enough.

I'm starting to think of some way I can extend the fixed side swivel eye so it's further away from the cylinder - maybe a heavy duty u-bolt would move the swivel eye out some or a smaller pin would allow the swivel eye to be pulled further away from the center point of the mounting holes.

/ Quick Connect Fitting Help #20  
cut some 3/8 plate and drill out 2 sets of holes, and bolt the tabs on the outside of the tractor tabs, and then install your cylinder in the correct position.

Chris just do what J.J. is suggesting here. That's if you have to.

Come to think of it that might be a good idea for me to get some more rearward tilt out of my HTL, have plenty of forward motion but could use a little more back angle.

JB.