Quick Connect on tractor (mounting)

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting) #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
Anyone ever use these: Tractor Supply Company - Double Breakaway Clamp

They are mounting brackets for quick connects.

I'm debating whether to mount the quick connects directly to a new spool valve I purchase, or use these with short hoses. I'm worried the weight of the hydraulic hoses will damage the quick connects after time if I mount them directly to the spool valve.

How have you all handled mounting new SCV quick connects to tractors? Does JD make a package for these possibly?

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting) #2  
I have used then and they work just fine. I would not have any problems just mounting the couplers directly to the spool - if the spool is in a handy location for you and the hoses. The weight of the hoses IMHO, are not an issue.

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting)
So far this is what I have. I purchased a 36" piece of 4x4x1/4" angle iron and cut out an area for the fuel cap and diesel tank. I'm debating if I should turn the valve towards the fender to move the handles away from the seat. Still have to get the fittings and hoses although I'm still unsure what size fittings are on the PB and Tank port on my FEL joystick.

101.JPG

102.JPG

A shot of the bracket and spool valve painted up.

103.JPG

104.JPG

Bracket and spool valve mounted.

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting) #4  
The tough part is done. Nice job. I would put the hydraulic connectors directly onto the spool.

Quick question. I plan on mounting two of the couplings directly on the valve with some 90's. I'd like to run the other set to another location with the break-away's. Would 3/8" hose be sufficient? Currently the power beyond circuit from the loader, and loader hoses are 3/8". So, 3/8" would essentially be feeding this valve from the loader joystick power beyond circuit.

I would think 3/8" hose to feed the rear remotes would be sufficient correct? I would think if I increased these hoses to 1/2" I would reduce pressure.

Also, to those who mount these directly to the valve, do you worry about an implement coming un-hooked and tearing apart a hose? I'd like to have one set setup with the break-away mounting to prevent that. I would think it would tear the fittings right off the valve? The couplings I have are break-away units where they will hook up whether you release it, or push it straight in.

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting) #6  
3/8" hose will be fine for the PB loop to the new valve since that's what's existing.

To feed the QD's you may only need 1/4" hose depending on what you are going to power, if the implement just has one cylinder then it will not need a lot of flow.

The breakaway QD's are not a bad idea.

In the 20 or so years that I grew up on our farm back in the days, I only had this happen twice. One time was the tongue on a Bush Hog 14' row crop shredder gave way (2 years old) and came loose. Both times the hose was released from the tractor. I would just hate to have that happen and have high pressure hydraulic fluid right at my face.

/ Quick Connect on tractor (mounting) #8  
Hi.

I have a kubota 4400,,,i mounted the controls on the
fender and ran lines to the spools mounted on the lower
portion of my rops, works great 3 years old, no problems
have put new seals in valves once, used valves to run
a pto pwd stumpgrinder, but now can use them for other
att also...
I put rubber stoppers in spools to keep dirt out when
brush-hogging...
Got everything at tsc...

Bob..

How did you mount the couplings to your ROPS? I plan to mount 1 circuit directly to the valve, adn the other on the breakaway clamps with breakaway couplings.

Being a Kubota I guess it doesn't matter if you drill in the fender, but this is a John Deere. :) Just joking on that matter. I thought about that but for some reason decided against it, have no idea why. It would have been the easiest and not too late to do so. I wanted something I could remove later if sold without having any flaws I guess other than 2 holes in the ROPs.

I got most of my fittings from the local Farmer's Coop. They were cheaper on all fittings, but the couplings they were about $15 more /each. $16 at TSC vs. $34 at Coop for the exact same Pioneer model #.

I believe I have all fittings/hoses except for the PB and Tank circuit. I have to measure those. Hopefully I can get all this plumbed and get those hoses tomorrow.

I tested the coupling mounts today, and it bothers me a little having hydraulic hoses 2' from my head right behind me. Should I be worried?