Quick connects aren't

/ Quick connects aren't
Re: Quick connects aren\'t

<font color=blue>"whack" it (that's a technical term in tractoreze)</font color=blue>

Ah yes, reminds me of an earlier time when I heard someone (in the computer biz) referring to an "IBM forming tool" (AKA: hammer). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Quick connects aren't #12  

Glueguy,

Just to toss a quite-coincidental "me too" into this thread.

The thread appeared on Monday, I believe.
Just the Saturday before, I had been at the dealer's, doing some tests on my not-yet-delivered tractor, and also "couldn't" get one of my quick-connects on the loader to work. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

The mechanic I went-to for advice had it working in no-time, and his explanation of the possible reasons [weight on the cylinders when the bucket was lowered to(pushed-into?) the ground, heat-expansion over time] for the real problem (pressure in the line/on the fitting), was precisely "echoed" by the very-good advice that showed-up on TBN 2 days later. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Hammer/drift-punch/rag! ... definite toolbox must-haves. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thanks again to all who share their experience/knowledge on this site! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Larry

/ Quick connects aren't

<font color=blue>Thanks again to all who share their experience/knowledge on this site!</font color=blue>

How rude of me!/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif I should have done that already. The brain trust here at TBN continues to impress me positively! Thanks again guys (all of you)!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Quick connects aren't

Pulled the FEL off again today to do some mowing. This time when I went to re-attach the FEL, I pulled a flat-ended punch out of the toolbox and poked the plunger in the end of the (red) female connector on the FEL (the red one is the only one that seems to do this). It made a little gurgle sound, and plopped right on. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Quick connects aren't #15  
Re: Quick connects aren\'t/ how much HAZARD?

GlueGuy,

Glad all went well! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I also was well-prepared (I THOUGHT) for my next encounter with a reluctant fitting. Changing implements on a warm day, I was connecting my box scraper, which had been sitting in the sun (and which has relatively long= "high volume" hoses).

Light wt. hammer/punch in hand, I covered with rag and tapped(male fitting), ...nothing. Again, ...nothing . Tapped harder, ... then QUITE hard,...SPLURT! Hydraulic fluid all over the front of my clothes, and absolutely covering the glasses I was (thankfully) wearing. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Whether the rag slipped, was not wrapped completely, I don't know, ...but somehow the fluid got to me (fitting connected fine afterwards). /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

I couldn't believe that I had taken that much fluid in-the-face, and NOT gotten any in my eyes, but that seemed to be the case. /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Certainly left me wondering though; What IS the hazard associated with hydraulic fluid CONTACT with eyes/skin/etc., ...and what is recommended procedure/first-aid???

(It seems that the danger of high-pressure fluid INJECTION is always mentioned in the "cautionary" notices, but I don't remember seeing simple "contact" hazards mentioned.)

Anyone know something??

Anyway, ..goggles HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for this procedure! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thanks,

Larry

/ Quick connects aren't #16  

Heck, Larry, I didn't know you could do anything with oil without getting it all over you./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif And you're right about the high pressure injection being dangerous; otherwise so far as I know (hope I'm right, but certainly not an expert) getting the hydraulic oil on you is not really any different than getting motor oil on you.

Bird

/ Quick connects aren't #17  

Bird,

[[[getting the hydraulic oil on you is not really any different than getting motor oil on you.]]]

So the question becomes; "Is it OK to have motor-oil in your eyes?" /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

(maybe it would make a good "contacts"-lube!? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif )

Larry

/ Quick connects aren't

Yikes! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I presume the warm weather must have caused some expansion. The pressure in mine were no where near that level of pressure. Just too much to overcome easily when trying to slide the connectors back together.

Your experience cause me to do a search on the hazards of dealing with hydraulic fluids. I found several web sites that have some information. Here are a couple:

Biodegradable Hydraulic Fluid ISO 46

<A HREF="http://hazard.com/msds/h/q384/q263.html" target="_new">FIRE RESISTANT HYDRAULIC FLUID SAFETY
</A>

This one ought to be in the safety forum:

A GUIDE TO SAFE FARM TRACTOR OPERATION

After reading a few of these, one thing that I realized was that whether hydraulic fluid is harmful to your eyes or not, the burn and/or injection potential is possibly worse.

The GlueGuy