Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #11  
I used the cutter before but never notice the top link until now. The bottom pins when raised are setting all the way down in the hooks on the QH. I'm concern that the cutter may jump out of the top link

Since you have used it on the QH before, and if the top hook hasn't been moved since you last had it on, it's most likely that you just never noticed that the pin doesn't sit all the way down in the hook.

Trying to judge scale on the picture, it looks like there is 3x of the pin diameter of hook above the pin. So if it's a standard Cat 1 toplink pin that makes it 3 x 3/4" or 2 1/4" that the pin would have to move up to come out of the hook. I doubt there is that much room for the bottom pins to lift before they hit the keeper bars which means it can't come unhooked. If the QH fits everything else you have with the top hook in the current spot, I'd leave it where it is and run it. Eventually if I ran out of other things to do, I'd modify the hitch on the cutter to suit. I've never understood the point of constantly moving the hook on the QH to fit everything, kinda defeats the "quick" part if you ask me.

Last edited:
   / Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in
I raised the hook on the QH, the pin went down pretty much all the way, now its a booger getting unhook. IF no danger of popping out of the hook on QH, then I may just put it back the way it way and forget it. Not hard to figure out I'm new to using a tractor
thanks

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #13  
We were all new to tractors at some point in our lives and here to help. The top link is about providing fore/aft location while the weight is carried on the lower links. It's not the end of the world if the pin isn't tight in the bottom of the upper hook. In fact, I'd rather it was sitting just a little high in the hook so I knew the weight was where it is designed to be, on the lower pins. Sounds like lowering it back to where it was will work out just fine for you

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #14  
Just looking at the pictures, is you top link binding up on the quick hitch hook? The top link where it mounts to the hitch has two plates with two pins that allow it to move like a hinge sort of, but if the lower one is under the hook and can't swing freely the it would be too tight as you are describing. Maybe with the bottom hitch pins still in the quick hitch, remove the upper pin, with the tension off of it obviously, and ensure it's not caught up on the hook on the quick hitch.

Just a thought as those plates seem to be up and down rather than pointing towards the chain on an angle.

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #15  
I used the cutter before but never notice the top link until now. The bottom pins when raised are setting all the way down in the hooks on the QH. I'm concern that the cutter may jump out of the top link
If the bottom pins are tight in the hitch its should be fine if you can drop and rest the cutter on the ground and it doesnt come out your fine. If the top link bottomed out in the hook you wouldnt be able to latch the lower links.

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #16  
Just looking at the pictures, is you top link binding up on the quick hitch hook? The top link where it mounts to the hitch has two plates with two pins that allow it to move like a hinge sort of, but if the lower one is under the hook and can't swing freely the it would be too tight as you are describing. Maybe with the bottom hitch pins still in the quick hitch, remove the upper pin, with the tension off of it obviously, and ensure it's not caught up on the hook on the quick hitch.

Just a thought as those plates seem to be up and down rather than pointing towards the chain on an angle.

Considering that his cutter has the chain at the back to provide the flex/float, I doubt he has the hinged link at the top that you suggest (and is common on many cutters)

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in
Considering that his cutter has the chain at the back to provide the flex/float, I doubt he has the hinged link at the top that you suggest (and is common on many cutters)
right no hinge, next chance I'll try it with the tiller see how it hooks. I can always just move the hook back down where it was if it doesn't work out.
This is a Speeco quick hitch (E cheap one) Maybe look at Pat"s QH later on.

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #18  
Ah, sorry, was thinking it had the hinge setup for some reason.

/ Quick Hitch Top Link doesn't go in #19  
We were all new to tractors at some point in our lives and here to help. The top link is about providing fore/aft location while the weight is carried on the lower links. It's not the end of the world if the pin isn't tight in the bottom of the upper hook. In fact, I'd rather it was sitting just a little high in the hook so I knew the weight was where it is designed to be, on the lower pins. Sounds like lowering it back to where it was will work out just fine for you

Bingo. Nothing wrong with top location where it was before.

As for jumping out and unhooking. Only way that can happen is if you are running with the lower hooks unlatched!