Quick, ignorant question from a newbie

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #1  

Little_Grizzly

Silver Member
Tractor
Yuchai Dozer
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for awhile now. This is an amazing site! I'm looking to buy my first tractor (GL3130GST) very soon.

I have a very basic question that will unfortunately expose my ignorance. The dealer let me drive around a bit and he kept telling me to not worry about the clutch. "You don't have to use it, " he kept saying. I drive a stick and it took an amazing effort to not use it between gears or even shifting into reverse! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

So my question: What is the clutch for on a tractor with GST? Please be gentle...

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #2  
I have a 3130 HST and.............beats me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The only thing I use my clutch for is like an emergency shutdown. It will stop your movement and disengage the PTO, provided you aren't rolling down a hill, then it won't stop your movement /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Also, I'll step on it to disengage the PTO when using a post hole digger, raise the bit out of the hole, then let the clutch back out a little to spin the dirt away that comes up on the auger.

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #3  
Here's a link to TractorSmart.com

Look for the Info tab, then the Tractor Transmission Types link. Near the bottom of that page is an excellent description of how the Glide Shift Transmission (GST) works. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #4  
LG,
I think it matters if you are a stick guy or auto. I love my GST and I am a stick guy. You can really control the tractor and attachments if you are used to a clutch. You don't have to use it either. What could be better than that. A clutch to use or not. Get the GST.

JIM

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie
Thanks everyone. I knew I'd get some smart replies.

Bill, I checked out the link you pointed out. Proves my point! They didn't mention that you would ever need the clutch! So why did Kubota put a clutch pedal on there? I think Jim might be right in that it's there if you feel like using it. Still, seems like a lot of work to put the pedal there just for good feelings....

Anyway, thanks for the info. I feel better knowing that I wasn't missing something huge.

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #6  
The pedal might be there to unload the transmission for speed range changes, or for use when you are doing loader work and need to rev the engine up to lift a heavy load in the bucket but don't want the tractor charging up the pile of manure ( or whatever )....

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #7  
I've only put 20 some odd hours on my older GST tractor, but I use the clutch when I'm using the FEL and something comes up that I need to stop, it is easier to push in the clutch with my foot than it is to take my hand off the steering wheel to shift the shuttle to neutral. I have one foot on the manual clutch, one foot on the brake, one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the loader joystick. I'm all of of hands and feet! Works good for me.

I also use the manual clutch when I am trying to move in precise increments. If I need to creep forward an inch I find it easier to use the manual clutch to creep forward and then push the clutch in and then hit the brakes. This would be instances like lining up the 3 pt hitch to change out implements, etc.

Other than that I just shift with the lever.

FWIW, Nathan

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie
Thanks again everyone. That makes sense about using it during FEL work. It seems like the clutch isn't necessary but is nice sometimes.

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #9  
Wouldn't it also be usefull using a post hole digger??

/ Quick, ignorant question from a newbie #10  
It's also good for very tight quaters or minute, accurate movements. You can use first or second and then engauge the clutch as needed to squeeze it in where you need it. I use it all the time for emergency stops or quick changes. It definitely is useful and handy at times.