Quick Spade on forks with BX

/ Quick Spade on forks with BX #1  

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
I posted a while back about using a quick spade on my forks with my BX1880. I also posted on a Facebook group that pertains to B, BX, L, LX tractors. According to the FB page it's the worst idea in the world, and here I got mixed opinions. Well, I decided to try one anyway.

This is the primary use I bought it for. The property I bought from my wife's grandparents had a pool and patio on it that has been here for 50 years or more, and has been kept updated and evolved with the times. The landscaping is very mature around it, and there are many healthy, large boxwoods but some were planted too close and are crowding each other.

Well, aside from that, I got tired of waiting on little guys like this to put on some size.

IMG_20211002_150345867.jpg

It's hard to make these GROW in the sand. I need to push them harder with ferts I guess. They stay healthy and green but hardly grow at all.

Spade
IMG_20211002_122430134.jpg

It only took me 30 min to dig this up, and that was with a learning curve in the beginning where I figured out the best ways to use it.

IMG_20211002_130517315_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211002_130453918_HDR.jpg

I dig most of the new hole with the quick spade too. I cleaned up the edges and fine tuned it with a shovel.

IMG_20211002_135311494_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211002_141340189.jpg

Slipped the spade off lickety split and set the fork tines appropriately to lift the shrub and set it in place

IMG_20211002_141847546_HDR.jpg

I held it there while I worked dirt around and under it and around the roots the best I could. Gave it some phosphorus fertilizer to help the roots adjust and heal. Once I was done putting dirt around it, I was able to pull right out without disturbing the placement of my shrub.

Finished up nicely. I would never have attempted this with only a shovel, and with my bucket I would have made a big mess.

IMG_20211002_150331602_HDR.jpg

Yes, I have to be conscientious of the limits of my machine, my fork tines, and my fork carriage. I'm sure if I went all TALLY HO! with this I could apply too much force with the leverage of my fork tines and damage something, but on the other hand it's hard to apply too much force with a BX. And yes, if I lived where there is hard clay, or rocky ground this might not be so easy. But, alas, I do not, and I cannot give a review for conditions that I did not experience.

After this task I'm extremely happy with my decision to get forks, and a quick spade to use on those forks. I have 5 more boxwoods to move just like this. Imo it'll be worth the cost just for these 6 shrubs. I haven't ever priced one this mature but I'm sure I have come out ahead vs buying them this size. Now, fingers crossed that they survive the transplant. I know that can be very taxing on a mature plant.

/ Quick Spade on forks with BX
Feedback from a local fella on a Facebook post of mine puts these being planted in 1996, and it's a Youpon Holly, not a boxwood.

/ Quick Spade on forks with BX #3  
Nicely done!

Just for reference, I was using my Quick Spade yesterday to deepen a runoff ditch, running the tractor parallel over the ditch and trenching it deeper. It worked well.

Dealing with clay soil and wet spots...so sticky, like cement.

Was not able to get the QS off the forks when I was done. An 8# sledge and block of wood for protection was not budging it.

I raised the forks so they hung vertical with the QS 10 inches off the ground and used a couple of 4x4 lengths and a small 8 ton hydraulic jack to press the QS back off the forks.

Simple and fast, should you ever find you can't get your QS separated from the forks.

/ Quick Spade on forks with BX #4  
I posted a while back about using a quick spade on my forks with my BX1880. I also posted on a Facebook group that pertains to B, BX, L, LX tractors. According to the FB page it's the worst idea in the world, and here I got mixed opinions. Well, I decided to try one anyway.

Congrats on getting a tool that works well for your situation!! I would imagine, like many things, a quick spade's utility and/or potential for damaging a tractor depends significantly on the user's unique situation and their situation awareness. Looks like you've got things figured out.

Looks like you did a great job in removing those yaupon holly without destroying the root system. I've had to remove several that had outgrown their space around the house and, at least in clay soils, they can be an absolute bear to get out the ground with a small tractor.

I would dearly like to have a spade for my bx2360.... but I live on top of a hard clay ridge.... depending on the time of year it can be next to impossible to break into the spoil pile even with a toothbar on the bucket. I suspect even being careful I would bend or break something.

If you don't mind sharing... what Facebook group were you referring to?

/ Quick Spade on forks with BX
Congrats on getting a tool that works well for your situation!! I would imagine, like many things, a quick spade's utility and/or potential for damaging a tractor depends significantly on the user's unique situation and their situation awareness. Looks like you've got things figured out.

Looks like you did a great job in removing those yaupon holly without destroying the root system. I've had to remove several that had outgrown their space around the house and, at least in clay soils, they can be an absolute bear to get out the ground with a small tractor.

I would dearly like to have a spade for my bx2360.... but I live on top of a hard clay ridge.... depending on the time of year it can be next to impossible to break into the spoil pile even with a toothbar on the bucket. I suspect even being careful I would bend or break something.

If you don't mind sharing... what Facebook group were you referring to?
I think the name of the group is Kubota B,BX, and LX owners. Or something like that. I think you might be surprised at the QS for your situation. It concentrates all the force in a small area. I found that, if I was careful, since the forks are in the ground at an angle, even if I couldn't lift up I could reverse, and the geometry would work with me to help the spade lift up. Sometimes even pushing down on the loader while curling up would make it lift the scoop, if my lift force was not great enough. It's a bit of a learning curve trying to figure out how to make it work the best.

Moved another today.

IMG_20211003_104853068.jpg
IMG_20211003_104411137.jpg

Moment of triumph

IMG_20211003_105632941.jpg

IMG_20211003_110732784_HDR.jpg

The reach from the forks helps me get into my beds to work without trampling the plants I want to keep as badly, and it let me reach in to dig my new hole without disturbing my bed edging. Which I absolutely HATE working with.

IMG_20211003_114059690.jpg

My dump trucks at the ready.

IMG_20211003_114707670.jpg