Quick Trailer Jack Question

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #1  

Iplayfarmer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1215, Case 801B
When a jack is rated at 3500 pounds does that mean the jack will hold 3500 pounds or that the jack is meant to go on a trailer rated at 3500 pounds?

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #2  
   / Quick Trailer Jack Question
   / Quick Trailer Jack Question #4  
I'd have to agree.. I believe if you buy a jack with a weight rating.. that is the jack max weight rating.. not the size class trialer it will go on.

soundguy

I'd have to agree.. I believe if you buy a jack with a weight rating.. that is the jack max weight rating.. not the size class trialer it will go on.

soundguy

Congrats on being Member of the Month. I knew it would come around to you sooner vs. later.

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #6  
mine was a while back, but thanks.

there are some many good people here, I love to see the beginning of the month anouncements to see who is featured next.

soundguy

mine was a while back, but thanks.

That explains why it says "April 2010" after member of the month.

Congratulations anyway. I know you've helped me more than once. There are a lot of good people here with a lot of good experience and advice.

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #8  
Since were on the subject, I bought a used trailer and the trailer jack is pretty rusted. Takes two men and horse to crank the thing. If it was bolted on I would just put a new one on, but it's welded. Is there something I can do the get if free'd up.

Wedge

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #9  
Where the crank handle goes in at the top should be a felt or rubber seal.. most of the time it wears. get some penetrant oil like PB blaster or liquid wrench and spray in there using the straw.. usually it will puddle then drian, then hit it with some more till it has taken quite a bit.

get the trailer supported on something so you can run the jack up and down without it bearing weight.

keep oiling and working it. if you don't have penetrant oil, but do have a squirt bottle, some atf fluid mixed with your choice of the following solvents will work:

diesel, kerosene, mineral spirits or naptha

acetone - be carefull.. not my first choice.. but will work.. can eat some rubber, and not nice on the eyes. diesel is my first choice due to cost.

use that in a squirt bottle and work her out. too bad most of them dont have grease fittings..

post back.

soundguy

/ Quick Trailer Jack Question #10  
Thanks. It wont be till this weekend. I refuse to work outside when it's above 90 degrees. I have diesel, just need to pick up some atf. Also have a few can of PB blaster.
Will the foot pull all the way out. If os I'd be temped to put a grease zerk on once I get it free'd up.

Wedge