Quieter CK20?

/ Quieter CK20? #1  

chelydra

Silver Member
Tractor
Ditch Witch
I'm wondering if it's completely nutty to imagine either switching to a more efficient muffler on a CK20HST, or adding another downstream. Two motivations: avoid complaints from a close neighbor, and not have to wear earmuffs.

I only go above 2500 RPM or so when stuck, nervous on a steep hill, or wanting control flexibility when hauling a heavy log or rock. So giving up a couple of HP wouldn't bother me much, especially if it was a removable solution.

Would this work? Any risk of engine damage due to altered back-pressure?

Thanks-

Chelydra

/ Quieter CK20? #2  
I find the CK20 to be pretty darned quiet compared to a whole bunch of tractors I've used. My neighbors, albeit not real close, have said they don't even hear it more than a quiet drone when I use it.

I wouldn't modify it at all. The exhaust system is designed for that engine, and changing it may not immediately be problematic, but it could shorten the engine life. Increasing the back pressure would not be a good thing in my opinion.
John

/ Quieter CK20? #3  
I agree with John. Another point is that a new muffler would not affect the mechanical noises associated with a diesel engine and I find those are a big part of tractor engine noise.

/ Quieter CK20? #4  
Back Pressure doesn't matter to a Diesel, that's why Diesel trucks can come stock with 4"-5" exhaust. My CK20HST is really quiet compared to some of the tractors I test drove. I wonder if turning the tip of the muffler to aim more towards the ground would soften the noise and stop my loader arm from turning black ?
You should take off the muffler and run it at 2500 RPMS, See how you neighbors like that... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am just kidding, don't take off your muffler or modify at all. You should hear an older Kubota with the stack exhaust that goes straight up instead of aiming to the ground.

/ Quieter CK20? #5  
If you try experimenting with mufflers, I would like to
know the results.

My CK30 is fairly quiet as CUTs go. My JD955s are very
loud. I notice that the newer Grand L Kubotas (3X10 series
and newer) are significantly quieter than older units, too.
I have sensitive ears and I do not operate the JDs or older
Kubs for any length of time w/o hearing protection. I think
the newer CUTs have a quieter combustion chamber design.
It also seems that the Std L Kubs are louder than the Grand
L Kubs. e.g. L3400 vs L3430.

/ Quieter CK20? #6  
If you try experimenting with mufflers, I would like to
know the results.

My CK30 is fairly quiet as CUTs go. My JD955s are very
loud. I notice that the newer Grand L Kubotas (3X10 series
and newer) are significantly quieter than older units, too.
I have sensitive ears and I do not operate the JDs or older
Kubs for any length of time w/o hearing protection. I think
the newer CUTs have a quieter combustion chamber design.
It also seems that the Std L Kubs are louder than the Grand
L Kubs. e.g. L3400 vs L3430.

/ Quieter CK20? #7  
It's funny, my wife pointed that out to me yesterday...we were looking at a mower, and the guy had a Kubota B7610 and was running it around...she said "it's SO quiet!"...I've also noticed my FIL's NH's are much quieter as well

/ Quieter CK20? #8  
It's funny, my wife pointed that out to me yesterday...we were looking at a mower, and the guy had a Kubota B7610 and was running it around...she said "it's SO quiet!"...I've also noticed my FIL's NH's are much quieter as well

/ Quieter CK20? #9  
I REALLY liked one of the new Mahindra models with the
turbocharger. Quietest CUT I heard yet.......

Too bad the Kioti was a much better deal.

/ Quieter CK20? #10  
I REALLY liked one of the new Mahindra models with the
turbocharger. Quietest CUT I heard yet.......

Too bad the Kioti was a much better deal.