Quotes in hand- Massey GC1710/1720, and Kubota BX-25D. What to choose?

/ Quotes in hand- Massey GC1710/1720, and Kubota BX-25D. What to choose? #11  
I have a Bobcat CT225 with the deluxe seat - wouldn't trade for a standard seat. Don't fret over the brand - get the one that is most comfortable for you.

/ Quotes in hand- Massey GC1710/1720, and Kubota BX-25D. What to choose? #12  
I'm 60 years old. My problem is that mentally I still think I am thirty!! Sometimes that causes problems .... but that's another story.

I appreciate all of the great advice I have gotten here. I recognized early that not choosing an industry leader (Kubota, John Deere) has risks, and that choosing a dealer and then a tractor . . . .

Plowhog, I whittled down your post to focus on a couple points. You and I have similar ages and mental perspectives (feeling thirty).

I spent 9 years planning to buy a Kubota and ended up buying a Massey GC1715.

1st off . . If you are getting a mid mount mower . . Massey offers 4 choices . . I wanted the dedicated mulcher unit with 6 blades and no side discharge (no one else has it).

2nd . . Kubota is the scut industry leader because they started the category and made a good product. But Massey is top tier product also because they have many similar features and qualities of the 3 top tier brands imo (Yanmar, Iseki, Kubota).

3rd . . Warranty length . . 5 years . . and Agco tractor insurance is very low priced for the GC products (5 years coverage costs what 1.3 years of Kubota's insurance).

4th . . A GC1720 allows you to have 3pt hitch on while still having backhoe on.

5th . . The separate forward and reverse pedals is much easier on my knee than the Kubota paddle.

6th . . The DL95 loader allows me to lift more weight than the Kubota could.

7th . . The seating position is wider on the GC17xx making control access easier and the GC1715 and GC1720 seats or not only more supportive but they are also both spring AND coil supported making for much less bouncing on uneven terrain (most seats are just coil supported).

8th . . I wanted 2 hydraulic pumps . . not 1 . . So that I can operate the loader etc. without always having to have the rpms high. Sometimes there's reasons for high rpms . . but not always.

Summary . . Kubota BX and Massey GC1700s both have required items . . Front forward engine cooling . . . Diff lock . . . Good handling on slopes and hills . . tractor frame and engine designed and built by the same manufacturer with at least 25 years of experience.

I loved the Kubotas . . but for me . . I bought the Massey because of all of the above for my 3 acreas of need. I chose the product FIRST and then searched for a very desirable dealer next. Remember . . both Kubota and Massey are NATIONAL warranty programs.

Last edited:
   / Quotes in hand- Massey GC1710/1720, and Kubota BX-25D. What to choose? #13  
Another thing to consider is I think?? the newest Kubota BX has a drive-over mower deck?
My B2620 has a drive-over and I wouldn't trade that for anything. Goes on and off with zero effort.

If you can fit a small compact into your needs like the B series, I find doing the maintenance is easier also. No trans screen, just spin-on filters, no hydro fan (liquid cooled) and you don't have to remove driveshaft to replace the fan belt.

/ Quotes in hand- Massey GC1710/1720, and Kubota BX-25D. What to choose?
I know the seat on the Massey GC1720 is an upgrade from the GC1710 model. I expect to see them and try them out side-by-side today.

Many people wisely suggest focusing on comfort and ergonomics. But, sitting on a tractor in the showroom isn't a good test. Nor is driving one around the parking lot. I don't have the past practical experience of mowing, digging, etc. on each machine. I won't get that full experience until I buy one.

It seems that a smaller B model CUT, such as a 2301/2601, is well matched to my property and needs as is a BX25D. I presume the bigger tires and slightly larger frame might make for a more pleasant mowing experience. All that is subjective, but I need to go kick tires on the B model before pulling a trigger on buying a SCUT.