Buying Advice R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe?

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #1  

ProjectKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 FEL, Kubota L3301 FEL/BH, Ford Golden Jubilee, Honda Foreman 450ES, Polaris Ranger 400, Kubota ZD326, etc, etc
Hello, getting real serious about ordering a L2501 HST with loader and backhoe. I'm currently debating which tire type to pick. R1 Ag tires or R4 Industrial.

Tractor will be used in fields and edge of woods. Minimal road usage. Some work could involve spreading gravel, etc. Of course digging dirt. And also working in hay fields moving bales, fertilizing, dragging, etc.

I have a L3830 with r4 tires. They have worked well. I would like extra traction of the R1 tires but am concerned about soil compaction in fields since tires are narrower. Also concerned about tires withstanding loader work.

What's your opinion? Thank you!

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #2  
If you had specified your location more specifically than USA in your T-B-N profile we would know something about your soil, topography and weather, crucial to answering your tire question.

Tire recommendations for New Mexico may be different from tire recommendations for Indianna.

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe?
If you had specified your location more specifically than USA in your T-B-N profile we would know something about your soil, topography and weather, crucial to answering your tire question. Tire recommendations for New Mexico may be different from tire recommendations for Indianna.

Midwest. Loamy soil

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #4  
Hello, getting real serious about ordering a L2501 HST with loader and backhoe. I'm currently debating which tire type to pick. R1 Ag tires or R4 Industrial.

Tractor will be used in fields and edge of woods. Minimal road usage. Some work could involve spreading gravel, etc. Of course digging dirt. And also working in hay fields moving bales, fertilizing, dragging, etc.

I have a L3830 with r4 tires. They have worked well. I would like extra traction of the R1 tires but am concerned about soil compaction in fields since tires are narrower. Also concerned about tires withstanding loader work.

What's your opinion? Thank you!

The usual answer for backhoe and loader work is R4s. R1s are for plowing fields and such where you're working in loose dirt and mud.

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #5  
In terms of soil compaction, there would be little difference between R1 and R4 tires.

There is a significant difference in soil compaction between filled and unfilled tires, regardless of type. (Maybe 450 pounds for L2501?)

As you are considering an FEL, I assume you will order optional 4-WD with the FEL.

R1/ag tires are better in mud. The bars grip.

R1/ag tires are better if you clean animal pens. R1 tires throw off manure.

Every R1 tire I have seen is four ply.

R1 tires, vibrate hard and wear rapidly on hard surfaces.

R4/industrial tires are usually six ply, sometimes eight ply. Much more puncture resistant, especially tire sidewalls. Puncture resistance for the treaded bottoms is important if you operate close to burn piles; or around Mesquite or Locust trees with tire puncturing thorns.

R4 tires have a larger ground contact 'patch' therefore support heavy loads in a loader with more 'float'. This reduces load on your power steering. Slightly less likely to be swallowed in holes, making tractor with a loaded bucket less prone to roll.

If you fill rear tires with ballast, R4 tires have significantly greater interior volume. (I would not fill rear tires on a tractor carrying a Backhoe, which is ballast enough.)

Parts of Midwest have long mud seasons. You could go either way, but as you will probably not be doing a lot of Three Point Hitch work with a Backhoe I would favor R4/industrial tires.

Last edited:
   / R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #6  
I have the L2501 HST with FEL and Backhoe. I chose the R4s, they are more suited to backhoe and FEL usage IMO that R1's. I live in Central Texas, my property is a foot or two of sandy silt with clay underneath, wooded with some clearings. The R4's do just fine, I have not weighted the tires, I find that either the BH77 on the back or my 60" finish mower are enough to provide for traction when needed.

I have been stuck once crossing my wet weather creek a few days after a good rain, raised the front with the FEL and locked the diff with the heel lever. It made it out just fine. R1s would not have prevented a good stick in the clay and silt bottom of that creek.

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #7  
R1/ag tires are better in mud. The bars grip.

R1/ag tires are better if you clean animal pens. R1 tires throw off manure.

Every R1 tire I have seen is four ply.

R1 tires, vibrate hard and wear rapidly on hard surfaces.

R4/industrial tires are usually six ply, sometimes eight ply. Much more puncture resistant, especially tire sidewalls. Puncture resistance for the treaded bottoms is important if you operate around burn piles; Mesquite or Locust trees with tire puncturing thorns.

R4 tires have a larger ground contact 'patch' therefore support heavy loads in a loader with more 'float'. This reduces load on your power steering. Slightly less likely to be swallowed in holes, making tractor with a loaded bucket less prone to roll.

If you fill rear tires with ballast, R4 tires have significantly greater interior volume. (I would not fill rear tires on a tractor carrying a Backhoe, which is ballast enough.)

Parts of Midwest have long mud seasons. You could go either way, but as you will probably not be doing a lot of Three Point Hitch work with a Backhoe I would favor R4/industrial tires.

I have the L2501 HST with FEL and Backhoe. I chose the R4s, they are more suited to backhoe and FEL usage IMO that R1's. I live in Central Texas, my property is a foot or two of sandy silt with clay underneath, wooded with some clearings. The R4's do just fine, I have not weighted the tires, I find that either the BH77 on the back or my 60" finish mower are enough to provide for traction when needed.

I have been stuck once crossing my wet weather creek a few days after a good rain, raised the front with the FEL and locked the diff with the heel lever. It made it out just fine. R1s would not have prevented a good stick in the clay and silt bottom of that creek.

I think you have the answer. I agree.

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe?
Excellent info everyone! And fast info too! (0:

Last edited:
   / R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #9  
Have had R4's on my B2710 for 17 years that have held up and worked very well during all season in central IL. Mowing, gravel driveway work, and snow removal.

bota1999

/ R1 or R4 tires for L2501 with loader and backhoe? #10  
R-4s will probably provide better overall service, as indicated in earlier posts...