R1 versus R4

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / R1 versus R4 #31  
Danno1,
There's no mention of Industrial tires in your post but what you're basicly saying is Ag tires are superior to all other tractor tires yes ? If so, I agree. The only, and I mean the only reason I'm getting ready to switch to Industrial tires is because Kubota refuses to put bigger rims on the BX1860. I'm being forced to go with Industrial tires on bigger rims because I want the higher profile look from my baby bota's bigger brothers. I wonder why Kubota doesn't offer Ag tires for the BX2360, BX2660 and the BX25 ??? I hope someone can prove me wrong.

MissouriThunder

/ R1 versus R4 #32  
MT,

AFAIK, Kubota certainly does offer R1 (Ags), R3(Turfs) and R4 (Ind) on all those models you mentioned. Both the literature and sales lots confirm this.
I don't believe, on the BX's anyway, there is even a price difference.

/ R1 versus R4 #33  
It's not talking anyone down, it's just me suggesting to you that as an experienced operator of larger equipment used to make a living, I can make R-4's go places you can't. If I couldn't, I'd never get anything done on the jobsite, and never be able to make a living. I know you're a tractor website moderator, but I have more experience than you do in this particular instance.

No, it weighs 19,000lbs.

No, I use my John Deere GT235 for that.:)

No, it weighs ~6,500 lbs..

Basic weight is 4,000lbs. Cab adds 500lbs. Filled tires adds 1,000lbs, loader adds 1,000lbs that adds up to ~6,500lbs. I use it to bushog 10 acres for a customer down the road from me. I also help run his farm.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Your original post was: " They are good for industrial sites where tire puncture is a concern, but stink in sand, mud, snow or on lawns.".

That is a generalized statement directed at the entire TBN audience. That is why I felt the need to step in and make my opinion known.

I know you're a moderator, but it doesn't mean you are always right or nobody can disagree with you. I do think R-1's are better than R-4's, but operated by an experienced tractor operator, I can get the job done and have been doing so for 25 years with R-4's.

Hopefully I won't get points for correcting what I believe to be incorrect.

Me being a moderator has zero to do with anything in this discussion. I'm a TBN member just like anyone else. The majority of my moderator volunteer duties are to remove spam, double posts and the occasional cuss word. That's about it.

I'm sticking with my experiences about R4s. They stunk on my tractor in my application and you or anyone else couldn't do any different with them. And good luck to anyone that buys them on their CUT if they want to ever switch to R1s. They will most likely have to buy new rims as well as new tires. BIG BUCKS lesson. They really need to think about this thoroughly before purchasing.

As for your operating experience, I'm fairly confident I can become proficient on ANY piece of equipment in short order and give ANY professional operator a run for their money. I am comfortable in, on or around any machine. ;)

/ R1 versus R4 #34  
As for your operating experience, I'm fairly confident I can become proficient on ANY piece of equipment in short order and give ANY professional operator a run for their money. I am comfortable in, on or around any machine. ;)

With all due respect because I know you're a moderator and you could give me penalty points, I would say now you may be looking down on all the TBN members who make a living with tractors and equipment by making that statement. I would never say I could learn to do someone's profession in "short order". It takes thousands of hours of seat time on construction or farm equipment to see what I have seen and develop the techniques to operate efficiently.

I'd like to see someone tell a full size backhoe or excavator operator they could work next to buried electric or natural gas lines or freshly poured concrete walls as good as them in "short order". Seems like a very demeaning post to me. :(

As far as the R-4/ R-1 debate goes, nobody (including myself) debates that R-1's don't get better traction in soft ground than R-4's, but they don't put R-1's on backhoes or most utility tractors for a reason that you don't seem to understand.

On edit: I notice your lawn tractor has turf tires on it.
What seat time experience do you have on a tractor with R-1's ?

Last edited:
   / R1 versus R4 #35  
R-4's are fine on lawns, sand, mud & snow. If they "stunk", nobody would get anything done with 80% of the tractors on TBN, which are R4's. Nobody would get anything done with a backhoe, all of which are equipped with R4's.

You just have to know how to operate a tractor MossRoad;1774393. ;) Maybe you should ask for some tractor driving lessons for Christmas??? :D
That would be "learning to work around a handicap" should you choose to accept it. ;)

/ R1 versus R4 #37  
R-4's are fine on lawns, sand, mud & snow. If they "stunk", nobody would get anything done with 80% of the tractors on TBN, which are R4's. Nobody would get anything done with a backhoe, all of which are equipped with R4's.

You just have to know how to operate a tractor MossRoad;1774393. ;) Maybe you should ask for some tractor driving lessons for Christmas??? :D

That means 80% of the stuck tractors have R4 tires.;)
95% :D
larry

/ R1 versus R4 #38  
With all due respect because I know you're a moderator and you could give me penalty points, I would say now you may be looking down on all the TBN members who make a living with tractors and equipment by making that statement. I would never say I could learn to do someone's profession in "short order". It takes thousands of hours of seat time on construction or farm equipment to see what I have seen and develop the techniques to operate efficiently.

I'd like to see someone tell a full size backhoe or excavator operator they could work next to buried electric or natural gas lines or freshly poured concrete walls as good as them in "short order". Seems like a very demeaning post to me. :(

As far as the R-4/ R-1 debate goes, nobody (including myself) debates that R-1's don't get better traction in soft ground than R-4's, but they don't put R-1's on backhoes or most utility tractors for a reason that you don't seem to understand.

On edit: I notice your lawn tractor has turf tires on it.
What seat time experience do you have on a tractor with R-1's ?

I'm not looking down on any machine operator. I am just confident in my abilities around machinery. I have taught plenty of old dogs like you new tricks over the years and, conversely, have been taken to school many times by the same old dogs and appreciate and respect them teaching me while not talking down to me.

/ R1 versus R4 #39  
:D:D

I like a challenge!
I think it is best to eliminate "challenges" from your machinery every chance you get. In many cases it is an imaginative and inventive challenge to accomplish this. Other times it is as simple as changing a part. In this case its more like changing a part and then overcoming the challenge of marking
the ground.
larry

/ R1 versus R4 #40  
I'm sticking with my experiences about R4s. They stunk on my tractor in my application and you or anyone else couldn't do any different with them. And good luck to anyone that buys them on their CUT if they want to ever switch to R1s. They will most likely have to buy new rims as well as new tires. BIG BUCKS lesson. They really need to think about this thoroughly before purchasing.
Yep a lot of thought .

Status
Not open for further replies.