R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #1  

GKChesterton

Tractor
CK2610 HST; B7800
I have a general understanding of the pros and cons of different tires from reading other threads. I'm looking for a second tractor for some mountain land (20 plus acres) in Oklahoma that I have. Nothing super steep, but definitely has slopes in most areas. It is quite rocky as well. I'll be doing a little bit of brush hogging - 4 to 5 acres. I want a larger tractor because I've got some box blade work and generally will be moving some heavy timber around. I think (tell me if I'm wrong) a longer wheelbase will give me better balance going up and down slopes. The main question I have is whether I should go with R1 or R4 tires. My sense is that the R4 tires give me a little better balance, but the R1 tires will do a little better in mud and that might be worth the trade off. I know R1s increase the height but is it enough to make the balance significantly different? The area gets 50 plus inches of rain a year so I expect the ground to be wet. Anyone have any suggestions or, better yet, experience?

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #2  
Depends on tractor model as to weather R1's make the machine taller.

May cases the R1's can be adjusted to a WIDER stance than R4's. Which is good for stability.

By all accounts my vote is R1's....but you mentioned rocky ground. R4's are "usually" a heavier ply tire and are more cut/abrasion/puncture resistant.

But you can get R1's in heavier ply.

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #3  
Many tractors have adjustable wheels for R4s too. Wider and lower is better for stability on side hills.

If you drive on pavement much, be aware that R1s wear fast on pavement and don't have much traction on wet pavement.

I had R1s on the last tractor and went with R4s with rear spacers for the current one. I got tires from a different model that are slightly smaller to lower the CG. Our land is steep, the soil is rocks, sand and loam.

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #4  
Spreading the rear wheels for a wider stance is more important to increasing tractor stability than R1/R4 tire selection.

In rocky conditions it is the sidewalls of tires, rather than the tire area on the ground, that is vulnerable to cuts.

R1s have more traction in mud. R1s are usually four-ply. Six-ply R1s are available but you begin to lose R1 flexibility, which decreases traction.

If you go with R4s you can always add tire chains to the rear wheels for a increased traction.

I'm looking for a second tractor for 20 acres of mountain land in Oklahoma. Nothing super steep, but definitely has slopes in most areas. I want a larger tractor because I will be moving heavy timber around. I think (tell me if I'm wrong) a longer wheelbase will give me better balance going up and down slopes.

Bare tractor weight is more important than tractor wheelbase. As tractors have small front wheels which pivot away from perpendicular and large rear wheels, lateral stability is the critcal/hazardous axis, seldom front-to-rear stability.

Consider a tractor equipped with a PTO-powered logging winch. You can park a lighter tractor in a level area then winch the timber to you.

VIDEO: tractor logging winch - YouTube

PLEASE INSERT YOUR OKLAHOMA LOCATION INTO YOUR T-B-N PROFILE.

Last edited:
   / R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #5  
I have had R4 and R1 tires. R4 are best in a high scrub application running on concrete alot or where lots of sharp rocks may be present. You will sacrifice ride and traction with them. On R1 tires, you can get bias and radial tires. Radials run a lower pressure, ride and wear great, have excellent traction and great flotation. 20181224_113815.jpeg20181203_161455.jpeg20190113_164723.jpeg20181203_161430.jpeg

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #6  
Forget the industrials. They are made for industrial applications where smooth ride on hard surfaces is desired and lots of traction is not the requirement. You want R1s and if you don't like the ride, lower the air pressure or buy one that has more of a continuous center line of rubber...it's all in the way the tread is designed.

Never had radials so I can't speak for them. However if you are worrying about getting too tall, since radial sidewalls "pooch out" at the lower air pressures and do a great job of gripping in soft terrain, might consider them.

I dug up a video of a gal plowing in Europe somewhere and she showed the benefit of radials in soft turf and how to inflate/deflate them depending upon if she was on the highway or in the field.....the term is like actual circumference vs rolling circumference...some tire sites list both dimensions for their tires at a given air pressure....course if you are in rocks and all, you don't want your sidewall pooching out to get damaged.

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #7  
"Wet mountain land"

Yeah, I would also go r1 over the r4 tires.

/ R1 vs. R4 - looking for advice #10  
You might be the one to try the new crossover R14T and let us know if they are any good.