R4's ... can you stud them?

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
Are the tread blocks solid or hollow? Can I screw in some studs on some of the tread lugs without harming the integrity of the tire?

As many of you know or have noticed, R4's aren't exactly traction kings in the snow...

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #3  
Are the tread blocks solid or hollow? Can I screw in some studs on some of the tread lugs without harming the integrity of the tire?

As many of you know or have noticed, R4's aren't exactly traction kings in the snow...

Solid, stud away!

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #6  

Glad I got rid of my R4,s and now have R1,s.Don,t know if your can stud them but how about sipeing the tires.I hear this will give better traction.Had a few friends do it to there truck tires,they tell me they have better traction after they siped the tires.

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #7  
Studs are great for ice, but they do come with a downside......eventually a stud will find it's way out of the tractor tire and into another tire, ie, your daily driver, etc. Been there, done that. For snow, I think grooving / siping / chains is a better way to go. JMHO!

/ R4's ... can you stud them?
I just saw that siping thread too ... very cool. I may be going that route as well

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #9  
We have been doing it for a few years at this point. We started doing it with the rubber tracks on snow groomers we sell for icy conditions and they do work. One thing to draw caution, the tread bars are shallow in the center so be sure your screws aren't to long!

On blacktop drives the studs work nice! On the road you can drive as normal with none of the chain issues. So far no regrets with the right applications!

/ R4's ... can you stud them? #10  
We have been doing it for a few years at this point. We started doing it with the rubber tracks on snow groomers we sell for icy conditions and they do work. One thing to draw caution, the tread bars are shallow in the center so be sure your screws aren't to long!

On blacktop drives the studs work nice! On the road you can drive as normal with none of the chain issues. So far no regrets with the right applications!

Thanks Art,

Can you link us to the "proper" studs to use?

Thanks, Fred